Residents using stoves for heat likely cause of apartment building fire on Detroit’s east side

2 people taken to hospital

The fire department was called to the complex on East 7 Mile Road near Hoover Street shortly before 3:30 a.m. Wednesday.
The fire department was called to the complex on East 7 Mile Road near Hoover Street shortly before 3:30 a.m. Wednesday.

DETROIT – An early morning fire in an east side apartment complex may have been caused by residents using stoves to heat their apartments, according to the Detroit Fire Department.

The fire department was called to the complex on East 7 Mile Road near Hoover Street shortly before 3:30 a.m. Wednesday.

Two people, one of which is a 3-year-old girl, were transported to the hospital for medical treatment, although their injuries are not believe to be serious.

Several residents of the apartment building said they had asked for the owner multiple times to fix the heat in the building. They said they needed to use stoves and space heaters to heat their apartments, and that it was so cold in there that they could see their breath inside.


About the Author:

Nick joined the Local 4 team in February of 2015. Prior to that he spent 6 years in Sacramento covering a long list of big stories including wildfires and earthquakes. Raised in Sterling Heights, he is no stranger to the deep history and pride Detroit has to offer.