Pontiac, Mich. – Some Pontiac parents are struggling to come to terms with the decision to close two schools in the district at the end of this school year.
Monday (May 18) night, the Pontiac School District Board of Education voted to close Owen Elementary School and Kennedy, which serves students with disabilities.
During the board meeting, officials mentioned that in the late 1990s, the district had roughly 14,000 students; now, it has fewer than 4,000.
Parents who spoke with Local 4 said they feel blindsided and unheard.
Under the plan, Owen students will move to Alcott Elementary.
Kennedy students will be placed at Pontiac High School, a shift that worries some families of children with disabilities.
“It’s sad,” said parent Tamara Rush, whose adopted grandchild attends Kennedy.
Rush said she fears how other students with disabilities will be treated in a high school environment.
“You have other children that don’t understand the disability of another child that doesn’t interact the same way they do, and they may take advantage of them or mistreat them,” Rush said.
The plan also sends all district fifth graders to Pontiac Middle School, further reshaping where students will learn next fall.
District officials have cited declining student enrollment and rising operational costs to justify the restructuring.
But some parents are just as upset about how the decision was made as they are about the result.
The board’s vote followed two listening sessions held around mid-workday last week.
One was at 1 p.m., the other was at 3:30 p.m.
At times, some parents’ comments made it nearly impossible for working families to attend.
“It doesn’t make any sense, Alisha Holland said. ”If they wanted us there, they would’ve done it in the afternoon time where all of the parents could’ve came and be heard.”
Holland is also concerned that more schools could close in the coming years. Her children go to Alcott.
Other parents question whether the changes truly prioritize students’ needs.
“Last year, a lot of kids were comfortable at their school. Now they’re not going to be. They’re going to be uncomfortable,” said Jessie Lofton.
Local 4 requested an on-camera interview with district officials, but the district declined. Instead, the superintendent released a statement Monday night, which said in part:
“The approval of this Strategic Work Plan represents an important step in positioning our district for future success,” the statement read in part. “While change can be difficult, these decisions reflect our commitment to ensuring equitable opportunities for all students.”
As part of the reorganization, staff from Owen Elementary will be split between Alcott Elementary and Pontiac Middle School.