Skip to main content

Dearborn prepares for ‘Christian Crusader March’ at upcoming city council meeting

Protest planned in Dearborn Tuesday night

DEARBORN, Mich. – Dearborn city leaders are calling for unity ahead of a planned protest. They want to ease tensions before the “Christian Crusader March” takes aim at the city council.

Previous coverage --> Dearborn City Council meeting moved to another location amid planned ‘Christian Crusader March’

Dearborn City Council is trying to keep things business as usual during its meeting. The exception is that, instead of meeting at its usual spot, it’ll be held at Henry Ford Centennial Library Tuesday night because bigger crowds are expected.

Organizers believe as many as 50,000 people could descend on Dearborn. There are posts circulating about a “Christian Crusader March” in Dearborn.

Conservative influence Jake Lang and Detroit pastor Lorenzo Sewell are the faces behind it.

Sewell said they decided to act after Lang was assaulted in Dearborn earlier this month while protesting. He claimed police did nothing. However, Dearborn police fired back, saying officers responded quickly.

The return to Dearborn is part of a string of visits across the nation to stop what Lang called the “Islamification of America.”

Christian leaders from around the region joined Dearborn’s mayor and police chief to take what they call a “united stand against hatred.”

Ahead of the planned city council meeting on Tuesday, Aug. 18, the Dearborn police chief and others are asking people to not engage with the protesters, believing that move will fall into the organizers’ narrative.

Michigan State Police also plans to be in the area.

“My top priority is keeping Michiganders safe,” said the director of Michigan State Police in a statement on Monday. “The Michigan State Police has been coordinating closely with the Dearborn Police Department. We will have troopers supporting Dearborn police officers as they work to maintain public safety during events tomorrow.”

There are calls from the Dearborn mayor to have the Michigan attorney general get involved with the hate crime unit against the protesters. However, he acknowledges it’s a fine line since hate speech can still be protected speech.

Given the nature of the planned event, this is expected to draw attention beyond Metro Detroit.