AUBURN HILLS, Mich. – A burning pickup truck shut down I-75 in both directions for hours Thursday morning between South Boulevard and M-59.
Auburn Hills police said the pickup was hauling a landscaping dump trailer and traveling northbound on I-75 when the driver lost control about 7:30 a.m. and struck a construction median barrier. The pickup launched over the median wall and onto the southbound side of the interstate.
The impact ruptured the pickup's fuel tank and ignited a fire. Moreover, an auxiliary fuel tank in the bed of the truck also ruptured and spilled on the interstate. About 30 gallons of diesel fuel was spilled onto both north and southbound I-75, police said. Dan’s Excavating, the construction company working on the ongoing I-75 project, and the Michigan Department transportation assisted with the clean-up.
The driver suffered only minor injuries and refused medical treatment. No other vehicles were involved in the crash.
Firefighters from the Auburn Hills Fire Department extinguished the flames and helped clean up the fuel spill.
North and southbound I-75 were partially reopened about 9:45 a.m. The interstate was fully reopened to traffic by 11 a.m.
The Michigan Department of Transportation tweeted a photo of the fire:
Heads up-75@M-59, vehicle fire closing NB, SB 1 lane open. pic.twitter.com/uyoxakV55z— MDOT - Metro Detroit (@MDOT_MetroDet) August 10, 2017
- I-75 Closure: Suicidal man led police on chase from Oakland County.
- Warren: Suspected serial robbers prompt police shooting, chase into Detroit.
- U of M Hospital: Pregnant woman with terminal cancer hopes to give birth before death.
- Drunk Driving: Driver holding 40-ounce beer crashes into pole near Detroit playground, police say.
- Oakland University: Basketball coach Greg Kampe 'lucky to be alive' after medical emergency.
- Grad Party Shooting: Eastpointe man charged in shooting of 18 year old in Roseville.
- Macomb County: Health Department investigates food-borne parasite causing illnesses at catered events.
- Downtown Detroit: Man busted for drug operation outside historic Leland Hotel.
- Bees: Michigan man sets himself on fire trying to exterminate bees.
- Oak Park: Surveillance video shows 7-Eleven store robbed at gunpoint.
- Weather: Warming up to the mid-80s in SE Michigan.