DETROIT – Michigan reported 5,616 new cases of COVID-19 and 68 virus-related deaths Friday -- an average of 2,808 cases over the past two days.
Friday’s update brings the total number of confirmed COVID cases in Michigan to 988,725, including 20,665 deaths. These numbers are up from 983,109 cases and 20,597 deaths, as of Wednesday.
The deaths announced Friday include 36 identified during a Vital Records review.
Testing has increased to around 30,000 diagnostic tests reported per day on average, with the 7-day positive rate at 9.2% as of Friday, slightly lower than the previous week, due to the increased volume. Hospitalizations have been steadily increasing for several weeks.
Cases continue to rise in Michigan. The state’s 7-day moving average for daily cases was 2,616 on Friday -- a significant jump since the beginning of August. The 7-day death average was 24 on Friday. The state’s fatality rate is 2.1%. The state also reports “active cases,” which were listed at 73,000 on Friday.
Michigan has reported more than 9.7 million doses of the COVID-19 vaccine administered as of Monday, with 66.6% of 16+ residents having received at least one dose while 58.1% of 16+ residents are considered fully vaccinated.
According to Johns Hopkins University, more than 40.9 million cases have been reported in the U.S., with more than 659,900 deaths reported from the virus. Globally, more than 3.5 billion vaccine doses have been administered, including more than 370 million doses in the U.S. alone.
Worldwide, more than 224 million people have been confirmed infected and more than 4.6 million have died, according to Johns Hopkins University. The true numbers are certainly much higher, because of limited testing, different ways nations count the dead and deliberate under-reporting by some governments.
New daily Michigan COVID-19 totals since Aug. 18:
- Aug. 18 -- 2,690 new cases (case count for two days)
- Aug. 20 -- 4,197 new cases (case count for two days)
- Aug. 23 -- 3,920 new cases (case count for three days)
- Aug. 25 -- 4,326 new cases (case count for two days)
- Aug. 27 -- 3,958 new cases (case count for two days)
- Aug. 30 -- 5,020 new cases (case count for three days)
- Sept. 1 -- 4,494 new cases (case count for two days)
- Sept. 3 -- 4,448 new cases (case count for two days)
- Sept. 7 -- 6,313 new cases (case count for four days)
- Sept. 8 -- 2,364 new cases (case count for one day)
- Sept. 10 -- 6,095 new cases (case count for two days)
- Sept. 13 -- 6,093 new cases (case count for three days)
- Sept. 15 -- 6,604 new cases (case count for two days)
- Sept. 17 -- 5,616 new cases (case count for two days)
Latest COVID-19 data in Michigan:
- Full coverage: Coronavirus in Michigan
Here are Michigan COVID-19 cases broken down by gender (view here if you’re not seeing the table):
Sign up for the Michigan Coronavirus Newsletter for updates delivered right to your inbox:
COVID-19 Discussion Forum:
Join our dedicated space to discuss the pandemic. You’re invited to share questions, experiences, insights and opinions.