MELVINDALE, Mich. – A 15-year-old student was arrested Wednesday in connection with a threat against Melvindale High School.
The school received information about a threat posted to social media. Prosecutors said the boy sent a message on Snapchat saying he was going to "shoot up the school." The message included a photograph of someone holding a gun.
Police said the student threatened to commit a violent act at the school and officers spoke with him and his mother.
The student is in custody at the Wayne County Juvenile Detention Facility awaiting a detention hearing.
The student was charged with false report or threat of terrorism.
There have been a number of threats in Michigan since a massacre that killed 17 high school students and faculty last week in Florida. The suspect, 19-year-old Nikolas Cruz, legally purchased an AR-15, which authorities say he used in last week's shooting.
A student at South Lyon High School was charged with making a false report or threat of terrorism Tuesday. The 18-year-old allegedly sent a message to a friend on Snapchat asking if he wanted to re-enact the shooting in Florida.
Manistee County deputies were notified Monday about a threat to “shoot up” Brethren High School in Dickson Township and a teen was taken into custody. Police said an AR-15 was taken from the boy’s home. Officials say he told deputies that he was joking.
In the Flint area, a letter to parents says a student who made a threat involving Clio schools was arrested and held pending possible charges.
Meanwhile, a threat by an 18-year-old student of a shooting at Otsego High School led officials to keep students home Thursday.