A view of Detroit from Windsor as storms roll in. (Mark Hewer)
And now we head into the real heat. ♨️ Today is the final day before what is expected to be the hottest weather of the year. Fans of the heat need to wait until tomorrow and Friday as highs get well into the 90s with sunshine and tons of humidity.
So enjoy today after the rain breaks ... and prepare for mid 90s and heat indices in the triple digits. 🥵
Read below for tips on staying safe in this heat wave.
Check the latest forecast at ClickOnDetroit.com/WeatherCenter.
State police said they issued more than 1,000 traffic citations during a recent crackdown on I-94 between Taylor and Jackson. Yikes! Take it slow and drive carefully out there.
Today, watch out for a few closures along Grand River Avenue in Oakland County and along I-94 in Wayne County:
- EB Grand River Ave ramp to EB M-5 closed for construction
- WB Grand River Ave at Middlebelt Rd left lane closed for construction
- EB I-94 at Denton Rd left two lanes closed for maintenance
- WB I-94 from Second Ave. to Wyoming Ave. left two lanes closed for construction
Always check the live Traffic Map here.
🌡️Staying safe in the heat
Health experts warn that in this type of weather "extreme heat" can occur quickly and without warning. Older adults, children, and sick or overweight individuals are at greater risk from extreme heat. Humidity increases the feeling of heat as measured by a heat index. (Here's how the heat index works: Why it feels hotter than the temperature)
First of all: DRINK WATER . That's going to be very important, especially if you can't afford to follow the the suggestions below. For those of you who work on your feet and with your body, you absolutely MUST be drinking water at a healthy rate.
The CDC suggests:
- Find air conditioning.
- Avoid strenuous activities.
- Watch for heat illness.
- Wear light clothing.
- Check on family members and neighbors.
- Drink plenty of fluids.
- Watch for heat cramps, heat exhaustion, and heat stroke.
- Never leave people or pets in a closed car.
Stay safe today, the rest of this week and into the weekend, and check on your loved ones!
By the way: Last year we did a piece about keeping pets safe in the heat -- check it out. This is worth the quick read. 🐕🐈
The man accused of killing Danielle Stislicki in 2016 is due in court today. Floyd Galloway Jr., who already is in prison serving 16-35 years after admitting to strangling and sexually assaulting a jogger in Hines Park in Livonia just a few months before Stislicki disappeared, has a motion hearing. He faces a premeditated first-degree murder charge in Stislicki's death. Today's hearing is scheduled for 2:30 p.m.
Lt. Dan brings WWII veterans to New Orleans
Gary Sinise Foundation's Soaring Valor program joins the National WWII Museum to bring 30 WWII veterans from the Detroit area to visit The National WWII Museum in New Orleans. The Soaring Valor trip departs from Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport (DTW) where there will be a special sendoff ceremony.
Rhonda Walker is back – well, almost!
The entire Local 4 News Today morning team paid a visit to Rhonda Walker as she gets ready to return to her TV family. Today at 5 p.m., the whole team finds out what it was like for Rhonda to go from insanely busy to being cooped up in a hospital room and forced to slow down.
🗓️ Here's what's on the calendar:
- July 18-21 -- 🖼️ 🎨 Ann Arbor Art Fair -- here's what to know
- July 19-21 -- Pig and Whiskey festival in Ferndale
- July 20 -- 🎶 Jeff Lynne's ELO at Little Caesars Arena
- July 20 -- 👨🚀🌕 Apollo 11 first Moon Landing 50th anniversary
- July 21 -- 🌮 Taco Showdown Detroit 2019 at Eastern Market
- July 22 -- Taste Fest 2019 at Jimmy Johns Field
- July 23 -- NAACP National Convention Diversity Career Fair at Cobo Center
- July 26 -- 🍺 Ypsilanti Summer Beer Festival
- July 27-28 -- MO POP Festival 2019
- Aug. 6 -- Primary election day for many communities across Michigan
- Aug. 9 -- 🤣 Impractical Jokers bring tour to DTE
- Aug. 17 -- ⚔️♞ Renaissance Festival begins!
Check the Live Guide calendar for more local events, and post your own.
It's National Hot Dog Day! 🌭
Do you need an excuse to eat a hot dog? Well, it's freaking National Hot Dog Day! Don't ask questions, just embrace it. We know they're not good for us, but sometimes a good dog hits the spot.
It's too bad the Tigers are in Cleveland this week, because otherwise you could head over to the ballpark for one. Mustard only? Mustard AND ketchup? Just ketchup? Who are you?
If you haven't gotten in on this Renaissance Festival tickets discount, do it now! Seriously, you can't lose here, and it's a GREAT time over at the festival. It's available for a limited-time -- you can only buy these tickets for a 50% discount through Aug. 17.
Here's a link to learn more about the 2019 Renaissance Festival. This year's festival runs weekends and Labor Day, Aug. 17 to Sept. 29. The fun all happens at 12600 Dixie Hwy, Holly, MI 48442.
Adventure awaits! Purchase your half-off tickets here!
📷 Today's Featured Photo: A view of Detroit from Windsor as storms roll in. (Mark Hewer)
Mark sent us his photo from Tuesday night when storms were rolling through the region. It's his second Featured Photo!
Submit your photo:
- Hit us up on Instagram -- @local4news
Send us a News Tip here.