The Frankfort Lighthouse in Michigan, from @palko1205
Wow, look at those temperatures! We're so cooool. 😎
We should see a nice balance of sun and clouds today, but no rain is expected to end your work or school week, and highs should stick in the mid 70s. As for this weekend ... how does a ton of sunshine tomorrow sound? Sounds good, especially with these cooler temperatures.
It's still summer, and we're by no means rushing out of this season, but this feels good. 👍
Check the latest forecast at ClickOnDetroit.com/WeatherCenter.
The weekend is nearly here, which means so is a long list of road construction projects, including:
- NB I-275 ramp to EB M-5 closed
- WB I-94 ramp to US-12 closed
- EB I-96/I-696 ramp to EB M-5 closed
- EB M-5 from I-696 to Middlebelt Road closed
- SB US-24 (Telegraph Road) from Pennsylvania Road to West Road closed
- EB I-696 from Farmington Road to Orchard Lake Road right three lanes closed for maintenance
Is that enough??? 😮
🚧 Check the live Traffic Map here.
This promises to be good: The new Motown documentary, "Hitsville: The Making of Motown," is premiering tonight at Emagine Royal Oak. It focuses on the period beginning with the birth of Motown in Detroit in 1958 until its relocation to Los Angeles in the early 1970s. The film tracks how Berry Gordy assembled a system that enabled Motown to become the most successful record label of all time. Smokey Robinson, Martha Reeves and The Jacksons family are among the star-studded cast.
The rainforest in Brazil is burning at an alarming rate, scientists say. The National Institute for Space Research says there have been 72,843 fires in Brazil this year, with more than half in the Amazon region. That's more than an 80% increase compared with the same period last year. We will take a closer look at this today during a special live discussion with ClickOnDetroit's Jason Carr -- watch here.
Set Sail for Autism ⛵
Today, four young sailors from Detroit Sports Media's (DSM) Pro Team Challenge leg of the Bell's Beer Bayview Mackinac Race will take to the water again in the Set Sail for Autism Challenge at the Bayview Yacht Club in Detroit. The young sailors will be participating in a fun, non-competitive race on the Detroit River with accomplished Set Sail for Autism sailors and their families. We wish them the best of luck and safety!
Detroit Lions vs. Buffalo Bills at Ford Field 🏈
It's still preseason, but it's football nonetheless! Can the Lions please win one of these exhibition games? It's Friday night in Downtown Detroit -- need a win boys!
🗓️ Here's what's on the calendar:
- Today -- YpsiFest celebrates 40 years
- Saturday/Sunday -- Atwater Beach grand opening
- Aug. 29 -- Michigan State Fair begins 🎡
- Aug. 29 -- Romeo Peach Festival begins 🍑
- Aug. 30 -- Michigan State football opener vs. Tulsa 🏈
- Aug. 30 -- Arts, Beats and Eats weekend 🖼️ 🎶 🍔
- Aug. 31 -- Detroit Jazz Festival kicks off 🎷
- Aug. 31 -- Michigan football opener vs. Middle Tenn. State 🏈
- Sept. 2 -- 🇺🇸 Labor Day
- Sept. 7 -- Dally in the Alley in Midtown 🍻
- Sept. 8 -- Detroit Lions open season in Arizona 🏈
- Sept. 13 -- Red Wings training camp in Traverse City 🏒
- Sept. 28 -- Founders Detroit: Outer Limits Party 🍺
Check the Live Guide calendar for more local events, and post your own.
Pistons end-of-summer fest today ⛹🏽♂️
If you're looking for something to do this afternoon outside (as we mentioned, it's going to be perfect weather for it), and you're a basketball fan, check this out: The Detroit Pistons will co-host an event in partnership with the North End Youth Improvement Council to activate Delores Bennett Park's recently renovated basketball courts. The event will have a basketball clinic, with giveaways, bounce houses and face painting from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. The Pistons Academy Basketball Clinic will run from 1-2 p.m.
📷 Today's Featured Photo: The Frankfort Lighthouse in Michigan, from @palko1205:
"Patience Is A Virtue. I waited for a good 20-30 minutes for the freighter to get into view. Then I hoped the kite boarder would stick around, get into the shot, and that a wave would hit the pier. Sometimes, you have to play the waiting (and hoping) game."
Submit your photo:
- Hit us up on Instagram -- @local4news
Send us a News Tip here.