Suspected clown mask gunman charged in fatal Halloween shooting at Detroit gas station

Dravon Jones accused of shooting Willie Wilborn in back of head, police say

Dravon Jones is accused of wearing a clown mask and fatally shooting a man Oct. 31, 2019, at a Detroit gas station.
Dravon Jones is accused of wearing a clown mask and fatally shooting a man Oct. 31, 2019, at a Detroit gas station. (WDIV)

DETROIT – Police have arrested a man suspected of wearing a clown mask to a Detroit gas station on Halloween night and fatally shooting a former murder suspect in the back of the head, according to authorities.

Dravon Jones, 19, of Detroit, is accused of shooting Willie Wilborn, 29, at the Citgo gas station at Grand River Avenue and Southfield Road on Detroit’s west side. Wilborn was standing in line when Jones shot him in the back of the head, according to officials.

Detroit police said this man, who was wearing a clown mask, is wanted in connection to a deadly shooting Oct. 31 at a gas station in the 7000 block of Grand River Avenue. (Detroit Police Department)

Police released surveillance images of Jones, and Crime Stoppers offered a $2,500 reward for information leading to an arrest in the case.

Jones is charged with first-degree premeditated murder, carrying a concealed weapon and a felony firearms violation, court records show.

He was arraigned Monday and stood mute. A plea of not guilty was entered by the court.

A probable cause conference is scheduled for Nov. 18, and a preliminary examination is scheduled for Nov. 25.

Jones is being held without bail.

Dravon Jones (WDIV)

Accusations against Wilborn

Wilborn had been previously accused of beating his pregnant girlfriend to death and leaving her body in a vacant Detroit home with her four young children, officials said.

La’Diamond Meyers, 24, was found dead June 28 inside a vacant house in the 15000 block of Braile Street on Detroit’s west side. Police said Meyers’ body was found naked next to four children -- ages 8 months old to 5 years old. Meyers was five months pregnant, officials said.

“The little boy said, ‘My daddy hit her across the head with the broom and he stabbed her,’” said the neighbor who found the woman’s body.

Wilborn was initially charged with first-degree murder in the case.

“Naked, with four kids at the end of the bed,” said Sheila Calvin, Meyers’ sister. “They thought she was asleep. They were hungry for two days.”

Calvin said she thinks of her sister every day.

“I keep her obituary next to my nightstand,” Calvin said.

The charges against Wilborn were eventually dropped when the judge said more evidence was needed. Wilborn was set free.

Sources confirmed to Local 4 that the man killed in the Halloween shooting was Wilborn.

Calvin said she would have preferred the person who killed her sister to be locked up to think about the crime.

“Think about it,” Calvin said. “Consequence. That’s what hurts even more.”

Previous coverage

Photo does not have a caption

About the Authors: