ClickOnDetroit NIGHTSIDE report -- Friday, Nov. 15, 2019
DETROIT – The grandmother of a 4-year-old girl said the preschooler was dropped off the bus alone at a random house in Ypsilanti on the way home from school. Sheila Gooden said she was waiting for her granddaughter at her bus stop, but when the bus arrived, she was told the little girl was let off at another house.
4 Fast Facts
- A semi truck driver shot at another semi truck driver Friday in Monroe County, authorities said. Click here to read more.
- The United Auto Workers union approved its tentative contract with Ford on Friday. Click here to read more.
- It might be time for a good refrigerator clean-out. Click here to read more.
- A second case of pertussis, also known as whooping cough, has been confirmed at Clawson High School. Click here to read more.
Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel wants to stop something that virtually everyone deals with -- robocalls. Nessel said she is working with the state Legislature to create a monitoring team that will look for scammers. The crackdown also includes tools to report scam callers easier.
Getting around Detroit, you can use a car, a bus, the People Mover or the Q-Line, but there’s a new push for more people to just use public transportation. “Detroit is seen more as a Motor City and we want to push the scene as a mobility city as well,” said Aquina Johnson, with the Transit Diaries Campaign.
A man’s body was found in the trunk of a snow-covered car on Detroit’s west side, police said. Officials received a call about the body around 10:30 a.m. Friday from the 20000 block of Murray Hill Street near Greenfield Road and Pembroke Avenue.
Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer has signed legislation to prohibit the sale of an over-the-counter cough suppressant to minors unless they have a prescription. The restriction on dextromethorphan will take effect next July. Dextromethorphan, or DXM, is found in many cough and cold medicines but has been abused by teenagers seeking a hallucinogenic high.
Residents in Ferndale are fed up with the long wait times for trains at Nine Mile and Hilton roads. It takes about a minute for the Amtrak train to zip through Ferndale, but when CN freight trains go through, the wait is very long, according to drivers.
A semi truck got stuck under an overpass Friday on eastbound I-94 in Detroit. A Local 4 live truck captured video of the scene. The semi hit the Cecil Street bridge and got stuck underneath, video shows.
- Vaping illnesses in US still rising, though at slower pace
- US panel backs wider use of fish oil to prevent heart attack
- Free health screenings for seniors Nov. 19 in Southfield
- Shakespeare in Detroit teaches the Bard’s work in new ways
- Detroit man charged with trying to carjack former Crime Stoppers president in Grosse Pointe Farms
- UAW board members looking to permanently rid union of some former leaders
- Parole rejected for Charles Manson follower after 50 years
Copyright 2019 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.