Skip to main content

Mother shot during carjacking outside Oakland County strip mall, man arrested after police chase

25-year-old Ann Arbor man arrested

OAKLAND COUNTY, Mich. – A woman is seriously hurt after being shot during a random carjacking outside a shopping plaza in Orion Township.

The shooting happened at around 5:45 p.m. on Tuesday, May 19, outside Baldwin Commons Plaza near Baldwin and Brown roads.

According to Oakland County Sheriff Michael Bouchard, investigators believe a 25-year-old Ann Arbor man had been sitting outside watching for a victim before targeting the woman, who was walking through the parking lot with her young son.

“It looks very random,” Bouchard said. “It looks like he was sitting here looking for someone that would be his victim to steal their car.”

The Oakland County Sheriff’s Office is investigating a carjacking that left a woman with a gunshot wound. (Copyright 2026 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.)

Suspect approached woman in parking lot

According to the sheriff’s office, the man approached the woman in the parking lot, confronted her and shot her before taking her car and driving away.

Authorities said they immediately issued a broadcast alert for the stolen vehicle and used the department’s FLOCK camera system to track its movements northbound from the scene.

Multi-unit search leads to arrest in Groveland Township

Deputies from multiple units, including detectives, the sheriff’s fugitive apprehension team, auto theft investigators, K-9 units, drones, and a helicopter, were deployed to search for the suspect.

The stolen car was later spotted in Groveland Township, where a brief chase ended after the suspect crashed and fled on foot, Bouchard said. An undercover detective eventually located and arrested the man.

“It was about an hour and 25 minutes from the time we got the call of the shooting until the handcuffs were on him,” Bouchard said.

--> Parking lot safety tips following random carjacking, shooting of mother in Oakland County

Suspect on probation for prior assault

The Ann Arbor man was on probation for assault with intent to do great bodily harm, according to Bouchard.

He has not yet been formally charged.

The woman, who is in her 40s, suffered a gunshot wound near her hip and lost a significant amount of blood.

She was undergoing surgery Tuesday night, but police said they were optimistic about her recovery.

The woman’s young son witnessed the attack before running back into a nearby store for help.

“It’s pretty upsetting on lots of levels for anybody, let alone a kid,” Bouchard said.

The investigation remains ongoing.

Watch the full press conference below


Loading...