Man who tried to break into Troy home becomes unresponsive while in custody, police say

29-year-old Ohio man taken into custody

Police lights. (KPRC/File)

TROY, Mich. – A man suspected of trying to break into a Troy home was given three doses of Narcan after he became unresponsive while in police custody, officials said.

Police were called at 8:34 p.m. Oct. 4 to a home in the 1300 block of Dorre Drive, they said.

Someone reported that two men were trying to break into the residence of someone who lives alone and wasn’t currently home, according to authorities.

Officers located a 29-year-old Perry, Ohio, man and a 17-year-old Troy resident walking west from the location on Dorre Drive. The Ohio man told police he was staying with his girlfriend at the home in question, officials said.

The man was holding suspected methamphetamine in his left hand, according to police. He was told he would be detained, so he tried to run, but officers caught him and took him into custody, authorities said.

While the man was in custody, he became unresponsive and was given three doses of Narcan, police said. Medical officials took the man to Royal Oak Beaumont for treatment.

Officers said they spoke with the 17-year-old, who lives in the mobile home park and told them he met the Ohio man earlier that night. He said the Ohio man claimed to be waiting for his girlfriend at the Dorre Drive home, but didn’t have a key to get inside.

The 17-year-old said the Ohio man tried to use a card to defeat the door lock, but couldn’t get it to work, according to authorities.

Police said they released the 17-year-old at the scene.

While officers were investigating the incident, the Dorre Drive homeowner returned and told them he lives alone, and nobody else has access to his home, police said.


About the Author:

Derick is a Senior Web Producer for ClickOnDetroit and has been with Local 4 News since April 2013. Derick specializes in breaking news, crime and local sports.