What we’ve learned about Rochester Hills couple found dead from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning

Unknown if carbon monoxide detector was working

Generic image of a fire truck. (Pixabay)

ROCHESTER HILLS, Mich. – A couple was found dead in their Rochester Hills home by firefighters on Friday afternoon after suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning.

According to officials, firefighters responded to reports of a couple deceased in bed in Rochester Hills on Friday, Nov. 18, around 3 p.m.

Paul Louis Kamulski, 75, and his wife Frances Kamulski, 74, were found unconscious and not breathing in their home by neighbors who had been asked to check on them

The cause of death is pending from autopsies performed on Saturday, but it is believed they suffered from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Officials say there were no signs of foul play in the home and the autopsies showed no signs of any suspicious injuries.

The carbon monoxide level inside the home was 185 parts per million (ppm), which is more than twice the lethal reading of 85 ppm, officials say.

The Rochester Hills Fire Department found a carbon monoxide detector in the basement with the batteries removed.

It is not known if the detector was in working condition.

“This is a horrific preventable tragedy to lose two people. They actually had a carbon monoxide detector in the home, but for some reason it was not in place and the batteries were out of it. We always encourage people to check their smoke detectors and their carbon monoxide detectors each time we change the clocks for daylight savings,” Sheriff Michael Bouchard said. “It’s a good idea to have more than one in your home and you can get them that run on batteries or plug-in with battery back-up. Our thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends as they deal with this terrible loss.”


About the Author:

Morgan is a Digital Editor and has been with WDIV since May of this year. She is also studying political science and communications at Wayne State University.