The Detroit Red Wings will start the preseason Sept. 29 against the Blackhawks in Chicago.
The first preseason game at Little Caesars Arena is Sept. 30 against the Buffalo Sabres. I have posted the full preseason schedule below the poll.
Detroit is scheduled to open the 2021-22 regular season Oct. 14 at home against the two-time defending Stanley Cup champions Tampa Bay Lightning. You can view the entire schedule here.
As the team works through a rebuild with GM Steve Yzerman, expectations remain relatively low. I don’t think anyone actually believes the Red Wings are a playoff team at this stage, but we know teams can turn things around quite quickly in the NHL. I believe expectations for Yzerman’s squad will start to increase by the end of this season.
- Read back for context: Dear Red Wings end-of-season notes: 2020-21 vs. 2019-20, looking ahead
We’ll have a better look at the rest of the lineup after training camp and the preseason, but right now I want to get a general sense of what fans are expecting from the team this season. I have a very simple 10-question poll here focused on expectations:
Here is the 2021-22 preseason schedule:
- 8:30 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 29 vs. Chicago Blackhawks @ United Center
- 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 30 vs. Buffalo Sabres @ Little Caesars Arena
- 7 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 2 vs. Columbus Blue Jackets @ Little Caesars Arena
- 1 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 3 vs. Pittsburgh Penguins @ PPG Paints Arena
- 7:30 p.m. Monday, Oct. 4 vs. Chicago Blackhawks @ Little Caesars Arena
- 7 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 6 vs. Columbus Blue Jackets @ Nationwide Arena
- 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 7 vs. Pittsburgh Penguins @ Little Caesars Arena
- 3 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 9 vs. Buffalo Sabres @ KeyBank Center