Ford to send $500 to households evacuated for factory gas leak
FLAT ROCK, MI – Ford Motor Co. will send $500 checks to every household that was evacuated from a Detroit suburb because of a gas leak from a factory into the city sewer system, The Associated Press reports. It will come to $600,000 for 1,200 displaced households, the report said. Those families were instructed to evacuate on Sept. 5 and could be out of their homes for weeks to come, Flat Rock Mayor Mark Hammond said. Testing of the city’s sewer system and indoor air quality is ongoing. RELATED: Ford plant is source of harmful vapors in metro Detroit sewer, say officialsREAD MORE:Summer shows no sign of ending; See the stretch of 80s comingMichigan woman, 38, dies after crashing into traffic light poleMichigan pizza chain owner sentenced to prison for fraud over PPP loansmlive.com
Flat Rock gas leak not ‘imminent danger’ to residents, head of Michigan health department says
The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) and Wayne County Health Department (WCHD) are recommending residents of the Flat Rock area bounded by I-75 to the east, Gibraltar Road to the north, Cahill Road to the west and Woodruff Road to the south evacuate their homes until further notice due to the potential risks caused by fumes from a gasoline leak from a storage tank at Ford Motor Company’s Flat Rock Assembly Plant.
Hazardous sewer fumes spark evacuations, emergency in metro Detroit
FLAT ROCK, MI — An unknown chemical in a Metro Detroit sanitary sewer system has prompted emergency evacuations in the city of Flat Rock this week after hazardous fumes were detected in homes and a charter elementary school. Six homes and the River Heights Academy school building were evacuated during the unfolding emergency response in Flat Rock, which began early Tuesday, Aug. 31, when “gasoline-type” fumes were detected in Flat Rock sewer lift stations. Gretchen Whitmer declared a state of emergency late Thursday. Anyone smelling a chemical-like odor in Flat Rock is asked to contact the city fire department’s non-emergency line at 734-782-2496 and dial 0. Anyone feeling ill from the odors should leave their residence or business immediately, get to fresh air and call 911.mlive.com
Monroe County receives federal aid to fight COVID-19
Monroe County Emergency Management Division is getting federal aid totaling $55,000 to use for distributing personal protective equipment to essential healthcare workers, police officers and other first responders. The division distributed masks, gloves and other protective gear to first responders last year and this year, Hammond said. “Everybody in the state is applying for” the Stafford assistance. We use those funds to support our pandemic efforts.”The county also ordered special paper gowns for first responders to wear over their uniforms. The Stafford assistance requires a local cost-share.monroenews.com
Flat Rock seeks Gibraltar Road repairs
The City of Flat Rock is seeking Wayne County’s help to upgrade the crumbling, pothole-ridden Gibraltar Rd. FLAT ROCK — The City of Flat Rock is seeking Wayne County’s help to upgrade the crumbling, pothole-ridden Gibraltar Rd. In addition, the council said repairs also should be considered for E. Huron River Dr. that connects Flat Rock to the City of Rockwood. Both Gibraltar and E. Huron River are county roads and under the county’s jurisdiction, Mayor Mark Hammond said. “Like Gibraltar, E. Huron River is in disrepair from all the heavy trucks” and wintry weather.monroenews.com
Follow up: Discussion to be held on marina fire waste
Authorities are holding a “debriefing” today by remote teleconferencing, said Mark Hammond, director of the county’s Emergency Management Division. The aluminum boat equipped with a cabin and rubber bumpers around its perimeter was purchased for $400,000 in 2008, Hammond said. The liquid waste that was dredged from the site was contained in tanks that still are at the marina, but eventually will be hauled to a disposal site for hazardous wastes, Hammond said. He wasn’t sure who’s paying for removal of the waste and cleanup, but said the marina’s insurance company might bear the cost. He said a report on the cleanup and lessons learned would be written by the end of the first quarter of 2021.monroenews.com
Hundreds of boats damaged as multiple crews battle Monroe County marina fire
LA SALLE, Mich. – Dozens of fire crews battled a three-alarm fire Friday Morning at the Toledo Beach Marina in La Salle. ORIGINAL STORY: Video: Large fire burns at Toledo Beach Marina in Monroe CountyDec. 7 update: Fire chief: Cause of Toledo Beach Marina fire may never be determinedThe fire was called in just before 7 a.m. By noon, firefighters were able to get some of the flames under control, but there was still significant smoke from the area. At one point, the smoke was so thick, the flashing emergency lights of first responders could barely be seen. An entire building filled with hundreds of boats was nearly destroyed on the shore of Lake Erie. Despite being on the shore of Lake Erie, crews were unable to get enough water to battle the fire properly.
Local 4 News at Noon -- Dec. 4, 2020
DETROIT – Here’s what you missed on Local 4 News at Noon. Hundreds of boats damaged as multiple crews battle Monroe County marina fireMonroe County Emergency Manager Mark Hammond said there have been no injuries reported, but hundreds, if not more, boats have been damaged or destroyed by the fire. Dozens of firefighters have responded.
Video: Large fire burns at Toledo Beach Marina in Monroe County
LA SALLE, Mich. – Firefighters are on the scene of a three-alarm fire Friday at the Toledo Beach Marina in La Salle, Mich.Watch the video above showing the massive flames and thick smoke at the marina. Dec. 7 update: Fire chief: Cause of Toledo Beach Marina fire may never be determinedMonroe County Emergency Manager Mark Hammond said there have been no injuries reported, but hundreds, if not more, boats have been damaged or destroyed by the fire. Hammond said the biggest issue they face has been getting water to put out the fire because marinas like this one are meant for getting boats in the water, not for large trucks. They have been having a difficult time getting the fire trucks to a place where they can get water they can use. Here is a statement from the marina Friday morning, explaining all marina employees are safe and that an investigation into the cause is underway:“A fire occurred this morning at Safe Harbor Toledo Beach in LaSalle, Michigan.
Flat Rock closes buildings until April 5
The City of Flat Rock has closed city hall, community center, library and all other city owned buildings to the public to prevent the spread of COVID-19. The City of Flat Rock has closed city hall, community center, library and all other city owned buildings to the public to prevent the spread of COVID-19. The decisions were made after a great deal of consideration, Mayor Mark Hammond said The buildings will be shut down and not reopen until April 6. Citizens can leave items in a brown drop box next to the flagpole in the city hall parking lot off Gibraltar Rd. People with questions or comments can be sent to the mayor or email Clerk Meaghan Bachman at email@example.com or call city hall at 734-782-2455 and leave a message.monroenews.com
Vack retiring as Flat Rock fire, civil defense chief
Jim Katona will take over those jobs in MarchWilliam Vack, fire chief and civil defense director for the City of Flat Rock for the past 25 years and a firefighter for 46 years, is retiring from his posts in mid- March. The 65-year-old Vack announced he's stepping down at the Flat Rock City Council meeting Monday night. It was the first official meeting for new Mayor Mark Hammond, who named Jim Katona as fire chief and civil defense director when Vack leaves. He will take over as acting chief of the Flat Rock Fire Department Jan. 27 and then become chief when Vack steps down March 17, Vack said. Before working for the city, Vack was employed for 17 years as assistant credit manager for La-Z-Boy Incorporated in Monroe.monroenews.com
Hammond best choice for Flat Rock mayor
On Nov. 5th voters in Flat Rock will be heading to the polls to elect a new mayor. As a member of the Flat Rock Community Schools Board of Education, I recognize how important this election is. The candidate that best represents these qualities and would be most beneficial to the continued goodwill between the city and the school district is Mark Hammond. Please vote for Mark Hammond for mayor Nov. 5th. Frank HametFlat Rock Community Schools Board Vice Presidentmonroenews.com