DETROIT – Michigan reported 5,931 new cases of COVID-19 and 312 virus-related deaths Wednesday -- an average of 1,186.2 cases over the past five days.
Wednesday’s update brings the total number of confirmed COVID cases in Michigan to 2,051,771, including 31,695 deaths. These numbers are up from 2,045,840 cases and 31,383 deaths, as of Friday.
The deaths announced Wednesday include 250 identified during a Vital Records review.
Testing has increased to around 50,000 to 60,000 diagnostic tests reported per day on average, with the 7-day positive rate at 9.62% as of Feb. 18 -- the lowest it has been since September. Hospitalizations have decreased over the last three weeks.
The state’s 7-day moving average for daily cases was 1,926 on Friday, Feb. 18, lower than the previous week. The 7-day death average was 70 on Feb. 18. The state’s fatality rate is 1.5%.
Michigan has reported more than 11.3 million doses of the COVID-19 vaccine administered as of Feb. 17, with 70% of 16+ residents having received at least one dose, while 64.2% of 16+ residents are considered fully vaccinated.
Across Michigan’s entire population, 65.8% have received at least one COVID vaccine dose.
According to Johns Hopkins University, more than 76 million cases have been reported in the U.S., with more than 902,200 deaths reported from the virus. Globally, more than 10 billion vaccine doses have been administered, including more than 539 million doses in the U.S. alone.
Worldwide, more than 393 million people have been confirmed infected and more than 5.7 million have died, according to Johns Hopkins University. The true numbers are certainly much higher, because of limited testing, different ways nations count the dead and deliberate under-reporting by some governments.
New daily Michigan COVID-19 totals since Feb. 2:
- Feb. 2 -- 18,803 new cases (case count for two days)
- Feb. 4 -- 9,805 new cases (case count for two days)
- Feb. 7 -- 9,898 new cases (case count for three days)
- Feb. 9 -- 7,527 new cases (case count for two days)
- Feb. 11 -- 5,716 new cases (case count for two days)
- Feb. 14 -- 5,380 new cases (case count for three days)
- Feb. 16 -- 4,271 new cases (case count for two days)
- Feb. 18 -- 3,827 new cases (case count for two days)
- Feb. 23 -- 5,931 new cases (case count for five days)
Latest COVID-19 data in Michigan:
- Full coverage: Coronavirus in Michigan
COVID-19 Discussion Forum:
Join our dedicated space to discuss the pandemic. You’re invited to share questions, experiences, insights and opinions.