45ºF

Suspect in Chelsea Bruck slaying arraigned in unrelated home invasion, sexual assault

photo

MONROE, Mich. – A 27-year-old Newport man facing charges in the slaying of Chelsea Bruck was arraigned Monday on charges in an unrelated case.

Daniel Clay was charged Monday with home invasion and first-degree criminal sexual conduct that occurred June 9 in Monroe.

Clay had previously been charged with second-degree murder in connection with Chelsea Bruck’s death.

Bruck disappeared from a Halloween party in Frenchtown Township in 2014. Her remains were found a year later in Ash Township.

No other information was made immediately available about the home invasion and criminal sexual conduct charges.

Clay is due back in court Aug. 18 for a pre-case conference.

Stay with Local 4 and ClickonDetroit.com as new details emerge.

Clay to judge: ‘I don’t want a bond’

At his arraignment, Clay told the judge he didn’t want a bond.

“I don’t want a bond. I’m not even going to ask for one,” Clay told the judge.

Clay did ask for a court-appointed attorney, and the judge granted the request for a competency exam. The exam must be completed with 60 days.

Clay has criminal history dating back to 2007

According to a criminal background check obtained by Local 4, Clay has misdemeanor convictions for possessing controlled substances, breaking and entering, assault, and assaulting/resisting a police officer.

Timeline

Oct. 26, 2014: Chelsea Bruck vanishes from Halloween party in Monroe County
Bruck went missing on a Saturday night during a party on Post Road in Frenchtown Township. She was last seen wearing a Poison Ivy costume consisting of black pants and a leaf-covered top.

Oct. 29: Bruck's family, friends continue search

Nov. 2: Chelsea Bruck case: Police search for guards
Police searchied for the security guards who were hired for the party.

Nov. 4: More info sought from party goers about missing Chelsea Bruck

Nov. 12: Reward now $5,000 in Chelsea Bruck case

Nov. 17: Chelsea Bruck's family appeals for help

Nov. 24: Reward grows to more than $17,000 in case of missing Chelsea Bruck

March 19, 2015: Authorities search Michigan game area for missing Chelsea Bruck
Dozens of law enforcement officers searched Pointe Mouillee Game Area in southeastern Michigan amid an effort to find Bruck.

April 5: New clue in missing Chelsea Bruck case
Police said they found what they believed to be a portion of Bruck's costume in the area of Peters Road and Vreeland in Flat Rock.

April 6: Helicopter, K9 search for Chelsea Bruck in Flat Rock

April 8: Family of missing Monroe County woman awaits information from police

April 24: Construction workers find body in rural Monroe County
Construction workers found the body around 2 p.m. Friday in a wooded area near train tracks in the village of Carleton. Officers from the Michigan State Police Crime Lab and Monroe County Sheriff's deputies arrived at the scene.
The construction crew was doing excavation work on a piece of property where a man is planning to build a house. The crew discovered the body while checking on a piece of equipment, police said.

April 25: Remains found in Monroe County identified as Chelsea Bruck
Dental records were used to confirm the remains belonged to Bruck, and investigators Saturday said evidence at the scene indicated a homicide.

June 9, 2016: Witness comes forward after pictures released in connection to Chelsea Bruck case
After the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office released photos of a person who was at the party and may have had information, the witness made contact with authorities.

July 22, 2016: Monroe County Sheriff: 27-year-old Newport man in custody in Chelsea Bruck case
After an exhaustive investigation over nearly two years, a 27-year-old Newport man was taken into custody.

July 25, 2016: Suspect in Chelsea Bruck slaying: 'I don't want a bond'
At Daniel Clay's arraignment, he told the judge he didn't want a bond.