ClickOnDetroit NIGHTSIDE report -- Wednesday, Nov. 6, 2019
DETROIT – A family from Dearborn Heights is heartbroken after its two dogs were hit and killed after allegedly being thrown onto I-94. Malachi, a rottweiler and Australian shepherd mix, and Apollo, a German shepherd puppy, got out earlier this week. The dogs’ owner said she went looking for them. When she went to the Taylor Animal Shelter, she was told that the animals’ bodies were found on the freeway.
4 Fast Facts
- Results from the Michigan General Election for Nov. 5, 2019 are in. Click here to read more.
- The Detroit Institute of Arts is asking taxpayers to renew a 2012 millage. Click here to read more.
- Livonia residents elected the city’s first female mayor Tuesday. Click here to read more.
- Founders Brewing Co. will announce when its Detroit taproom will reopen Thursday after it closed in the midst of a racial discrimination lawsuit against the brewery. Click here to read more.
A discussion about race will be held later this month at Downtown Detroit’s Checker Bar after an incident between an employee and a patron. “He started arguing with one of my other friends and it turned into a really big situation,” Wendall Fleming said. “He called her a word I can’t repeat right now."
Three men and a woman have been charged in connection with a string of ATM thefts around Southeast Michigan, Canton police announced. Richard Mareno Briggs, 34, of Detroit; Angelo Parker, 30, of Detroit; Antonio Eblay Parker, 33 of Warren; and Anitra Leann Ward, 20, of Hazel Park; were arraigned Wednesday afternoon, police said.
Police said a 19-year-old woman was believed to have been under the influence of marijuana when she caused a crash that injured herself and a Novi driver in Lyon Township. She was driving east but using the westbound lane to pass, officials said.
A hit-and-run crash Monday left Amir Boykins, 19, on a ventilator. The crash also broke both of Boykins’ legs and his jaw. He was struck by an SUV while crossing the road in the area of Greenfield Road and Grand River Avenue.
A man who was previously accused of beating his pregnant girlfriend to death and leaving her body in a vacant Detroit home with her four young children was shot and killed on Halloween night by a gunman wearing a clown mask, sources told Local 4.
To date, a total of 86 people have lost their lives this year across the state as the result of a fire in their homes. Michigan fires in the month of October claimed the lives of 17 individuals, including seven kids. Last year, residential structure fires in Michigan killed 139 people and – according to the National Fire Incident Reporting System (NFIRS) – Michigan fire departments responded to 13,909 residential structure fires in 2018.
The Oakland County Prosecutor’s Office has denied bringing charges in the case of four Detroit Catholic Central High School students who made threatening social media posts, causing the school to close Monday. The students were disciplined by the school following a Novi police investigation into two separate incidents Oct. 25 and Oct. 31. A parent reported their child told them a person wearing a Guy Fawkes mask from the movie “V for Vendetta” was making “unsettling statements” on social media toward Detroit Catholic Central High School students, according to officials.
- Judge strikes down new Trump rule on religious objections
- Woman, man arrested after pizza place, Walmart robbed in Van Buren Township, police say
- Don’t forget to laugh! It can help you reduce stress
- US-born residents more than 5 times likely to use prescription opioids than new immigrants, study finds
- Oakland County mother says state of Michigan has failed daughter who has severe autism
- Military members craft Bell’s Brewery beer honoring servicemembers, veterans
- Man steals cash drawer from register at Madison Heights gas station, officials say
- Police need help identifying man struck by train, killed in Lima Township
- Military weapons collector tries to get through DTW security with empty grenade, bayonet, knife in carry-on, TSA says
Copyright 2019 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.