‘I’m lost for words’ -- Detroit family-owned business set on fire

The business has been open for nearly 50 years

Family business set on fire on Detroit's east side

DETROIT – A family-owned business that’s been serving the community for decades has been severely damaged after someone set it on fire Monday morning.

S & C Glass sits on the the intersection of Gratiot and Marcus avenues, and between 6 a.m. and 7:30 a.m., someone started a fire that engulfed most of the building.

“Just got a call this morning. It was unexpected,” said owner Curtis Sylvester. “My father started out the business in 1974 and I took over the business in 2004. Right now, I’m in disbelief. I’m lost for words.”

READ: Fire rips through Riverview apartment complex

READ: Woman, 2 dogs killed in Novi condominium fire

For nearly 50 years, the business has been offering affordable prices to the area. But now there’s nothing inside but debris. Sadly, Sylvester’s worried he won’t be able to pass the family business down another generation.

“I’m just trying to get it back to running standards so I can provide for my family because this is the way I eat and I’m serving the community at the same time,” he said.

Unfortunately, with the pandemic and other financial hardships, Sylvester doesn’t have any insurance.

“Just can’t afford it. I can’t afford it with the times we living in now. I wish I could but I can’t,” he said.

It will be a lengthy rebuilding process but in the end he’s hoping the community he’s served for so long can give him answers as to who would want to destroy the building.

“All I can do is pray right now. Hopefully we can get down to the bottom of it, you know,” he said.

Click here if you’d like to donate.

About the Author:

Victor Williams joined Local 4 News in October of 2019 after working for WOIO in Cleveland, OH, WLOX News in Biloxi, MS, and WBBJ in Jackson, TN. Victor developed a love for journalism after realizing he was a great speaker and writer at an early age.