Detroit Tigers trade rumors: Dodgers interested in closer Shane Greene
Los Angeles Dodgers reportedly likely to add reliever
DETROIT – The Los Angeles Dodgers are reportedly interested in a possible trade for Detroit Tigers closer Shane Greene.
MLB Network's Jon Morosi reports the Dodgers are likely to add a relief pitcher before Wednesday's MLB trade deadline. He said Greene is among the options the Dodgers are discussing.
Greene is the best relief pitcher on the trade market, in terms of 2019 production. He's only allowed five earned runs in 38 innings, striking out 43 batters compared to just 12 walks.
Greene was the Tigers' only All-Star representative this year, and he's earned that distinction with a 0.87 WHIP, a 10.2 K/9 and a 1.18 ERA.
His 3.70 FIP suggests he's been lucky to allow only five runs, but he's still been excellent in the ninth inning for the Tigers.
ESPN's Buster Olney reports Los Angeles' talks with the Pirates have taken a hit because Pittsburgh wants No. 10 overall prospect Gavin Lux for closer Felipe Vazquez. The Tigers would likely aim lower, even though Greene is under team control through next season.
The Pirates-Dodgers talks about Felipe Vazquez currently bogged down in part because Pirates want No.1 prospect Gavin Lux and the Dodgers want to keep him.— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) July 29, 2019
The Tigers might target infielders Jeter Downs or Michael Busch. They could also try to make a deal for top 100 prospect Keibert Ruiz, the league's No. 3 catcher prospect.
Los Angeles recently handed the starting job to No. 5 catching prospect Will Smith, and Smith is batting .343 with four home runs in 12 games. If they're willing to part with Ruiz, the Tigers should look past the fact that Jake Rogers recently got called up to the big league club.
Detroit Tigers trade deadline links
- Every MLB team's likelihood to trade for Matt Boyd
- Could Yankees get desperate and pay up for Matt Boyd, Shane Greene?
- 5 outside factors increasing Matt Boyd's value
- What the Tigers' lineup, rotation could look like if Castellanos, Boyd are traded
- Dream deadline scenario for Tigers involving Castellanos, Boyd, Greene trades
- Tigers rightfully asking for top prospects in possible Matt Boyd trade
- Could Indians trade for Nicholas Castellanos?
- Matt Boyd reportedly 'likely to stay put now'
Copyright 2019 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.