Thunderstorms with heavy rainfall caused flooding overnight and into the early morning Thursday across Metro Detroit.
This video shows some of the flooded areas on roads and freeways.
Areas shown in the video include:
- I-75 at I-696
- Northbound I-75 at John R
- Both directions of I-75 between 7 Mile and McNichols roads
- Eastbound Davison Freeway near Joseph Campau
- Eastbound I-696 near Mound Road
Power outages: Here’s the latest
Overnight storms cause flooding; more dangerous heat, storm chances today
Very loud and super soaking thundershowers and storms are still moving through Metro Detroit early this Thursday morning, so most of us will have a slow and rough go on the roads. We have flood advisories from overnight downpours, which means you’ll run into pooling, ponding and standing water Thursday morning. Turn around, don’t drown.
Our air will stay very muggy with recent rains. The relentless heat was relieved by Wednesday’s storms, which brought damage to our area. Temps are mainly in the upper 60s to low 70s as you head out and about this morning.
SE Michigan weather radar, alerts, updates: Download the WDIV Local4Casters app
One of my favorite things to do is check the weather radar. I find myself doing it obsessively.
Not in a bad way, but enough that my family and friends know this about me and routinely ask me to do it for them -- “Hey, Dave, what’s the radar showing?” How about downloading this app yourselves?!
I kid, I kid. I am more than happy to be that guy, because:
- I want to know when the rain is coming and how much to expect so I can tell my friend to clear his basement. 🌧️🌧️
- I want to know if there is lightning in an approaching storm and how many strikes are happening nearby so I can tell my kids to get inside. 🌩️🌩️
- I also want the detailed forecast for the next several hours or days so I know how to plan ahead appropriately. ⛅ 🗓️
Are you like me? The WDIV Local4Casters Weather app is a must-have for anyone who likes to know how to plan for the weather before they head out the door.
Download it for free at your app store!