The number of confirmed cases of the coronavirus (COVID-19) in Michigan has risen to 833,891 as of Wednesday, including 17,467 deaths, state officials report.
Wednesday’s update includes a total of 4,371 new cases and 38 additional deaths.
Testing has been steady around 35,000 diagnostic tests reported per day on average, with the 7-day positive rate above 11% as of Tuesday, lower than one week ago. Hospitalizations have plateaued over the last week but remain high.
Overall, new cases have slowed over the last 10 days. The state’s 7-day moving average for daily cases was 4,167 on Wednesday -- lower than one week ago. The 7-day death average was 60 on Wednesday, slightly higher than the last two weeks. The state’s fatality rate is 2.1%. The state also reports “active cases,” which were listed at 189,000 on Wednesday. More than 626,000 have recovered in Michigan.
Michigan has reported more than 6.6 million doses of the COVID-19 vaccine administered as of Friday, with 48.8% of residents having received at least one dose.
According to Johns Hopkins University, more than 32 million cases have been reported in the U.S., with more than 572,900 deaths reported from the virus.
Worldwide, more than 148 million people have been confirmed infected and more than 3.1 million have died. More than 84 million have recovered, according to Johns Hopkins University. The true numbers are certainly much higher, because of limited testing, different ways nations count the dead and deliberate under-reporting by some governments.
New daily Michigan COVID-19 totals since April 7:
- April 7 -- 8,015 new cases
- April 8 -- 7,819 new cases
- April 9 -- 7,834 new cases
- April 10 -- 6,892 new cases
- April 12 -- 9,674 new cases (case count for two days)
- April 13 -- 8,867 new cases
- April 14 -- 7,955 new cases
- April 15 -- 6,303 new cases
- April 16 -- 8,955 new cases
- April 17 -- 5,530 new cases
- April 19 -- 8,574 new cases (case count for two days)
- April 20 -- 5,259 new cases
- April 21 -- 5,584 new cases
- April 22 -- 4,867 new cases
- April 23 -- 5,031 new cases
- April 24 -- 4,698 new cases
- April 26 -- 6,524 new cases (case count for two days)
- April 27 -- 3,676 new cases
- April 28 -- 4,371 new cases
Latest COVID-19 data in Michigan:
- Full coverage: Coronavirus in Michigan
Here are Michigan COVID-19 cases broken down by gender (view here if you’re not seeing the table):