UAW-GM strike: Follow live updates on day 7
Union workers strike nationwide against General Motors
DETROIT – Leaders of the United Autoworkers (UAW) union decided to initiate a strike last Sunday against General Motors as contract negotiations went beyond a weekend deadline.
Workers started walking off the job over the weekend and by Monday morning about 50,000 union members were not reporting to their plants and manufacturing facilities.
Negotiations have been ongoing each day this week. On Tuesday, GM announced it would move striking UAW workers to COBRA healthcare coverage.
Sources said there was some progress between the two sides in negotiations on Wednesday. Negotiations continued Friday with no end to the strike in sight.
- UAW-GM strike to enter day 7 -- Where things stand
- UAW strike against GM to continue through weekend, solidarity protest taking place Sunday
- UAW-GM strike day 4; where things stand
- GM moves striking UAW members to COBRA healthcare coverage
- Q&A on day 3 of the UAW-GM national strike
- Perspective on day 3 of the UAW-GM national strike
- First day ends without deal -- here's what happened
- Plight of temporary workers, rising health care costs top list of concerns for UAW members
- Strike against GM about more than fair wages -- read more
Overall, union workers have shut down 33 manufacturing plants in nine states and 22 parts distribution warehouses. Negotiations between the two parties have been underway all week, but it's unclear when a new deal could be reached and when the strike will end.
Meanwhile, about 1,200 Canadian auto workers have been laid off due to parts shortages.
The UAW said workers are striking to secure fair wages, affordable healthcare, their share of profits, job security and a defined path to permanent seniority for temp workers.
GM said it presented "a strong offer that improves wages, benefits and grows U.S. jobs in substantive ways."
Local 4 and ClickOnDetroit will be following this developing story -- follow live updates on the strike here:
Copyright 2019 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.