DETROIT – Dramatic video of a violent incident between Detroit police and a man with a sword provided insight into Thursday’s deadly confrontation. It was the fourth officer-involved shooting in the city this month. Shocking video of the encounter was posted on the Facebook page Metro Detroit News.
WATCH Local 4 News at 11
4 Fast Facts
- Five students at University of Detroit Mercy’s School of Dentistry have tested positive for COVID-19. Click here to read more.
- The mayor of Harper Woods, Kenneth Poynter, has turned in a letter of resignation. Click here to read more.
- Michigan’s risk for a coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak has been moved from a “high” risk level to a “medium” risk level by Covid Act Now. Click here to read more.
- Travis Furlow, a Metro Detroit father of three, wrote a book to help teach his children about what’s happening during the COVID-19 pandemic. Click here to read more.
Police said they have one suspect in custody in connection to the death of a 33-year-old woman. The burnt remains of a female were found near a park on July 13 and identified as belonging to Susie Zhao from Waterford Township.
Thousands of Michiganders are still struggling to get unemployment benefits in the state.
The progress and upgrades to the Unemployment Insurance Agency’s computer and phone systems has helped many but unemployment offices remain closed.
An independent law firm hired to investigate allegations of sexual harassment by University of Michigan’s former provost has come to some disturbing conclusions.
Martin Philbert was removed as provost in March, weeks after being placed on leave, but he remained on the payroll as a faculty member until he retired in June after the allegations of sexual harassment became public.
A mother is grieving the loss of her 23-year-old son more than 14 years after he was murdered in Detroit -- and police are still trying to solve the case.
Gavin Early’s mother, Linda Berry, last saw him on June 25, 2006 when he said goodbye before heading out for a car ride with his brother to meet friends.
- US: Snake River dams will not be removed to save salmon
- 9 coronavirus cases linked to wedding reception at Southgate banquet hall
- Investigation reveals University of Michigan provost had history of sexual misconduct
- Parents can choose -- Detroit Public Schools reveals official back-to-school plan
- Beulah man burned while helping wife, dog escape camper explosion in Benzie County
- Grosse Pointe Public Schools to begin fully online this fall due to pandemic
- Delayed election results? Maybe, but not because of fraud