Michigan Gov. Whitmer holds coronavirus news conference
Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer holds a news conference March 30, 2020 about the state's response to the coronavirus outbreak. (WDIV)
Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer held a news conference Monday morning to address the state’s response to the coronavirus pandemic.
Gov. Whitmer was joined by Michigan state health Chief Dr. Joneigh S. Khaldun.
The number of confirmed cases of the coronavirus (COVID-19) in Michigan has risen to 5,524 as of Sunday, including 132 deaths, state officials report. Dr. Khaldun said she expects that the number of cases in Michigan will peak within the next few weeks.
Meanwhile, families have been waiting to find out the state’s plan for the remainder of the school year as schools have been shut down since March 16 due to the virus outbreak . Last week, Whitmer’s office said an announcement is coming this week about “plans to ensure our seniors graduate and that no child is held back ."
Whitmer said Monday that a decision will be announced later this week.
Related: Whitmer to hold press conference today with Detroit mayor
Copyright 2020 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.
How does no fault insurance work? If so rare, why so common? Join us Friday as we ‘Dine in the D’ at ‘Square One’ in Waterford on Live in the D, at 11am Bryce Underwood previews Michigan football season Michigan State introduces new Athletic Director Dan Bartholomae Detrpot Lions RB Sione Vaki returns from injury, eyes bigger role Detroit Lions’ Ahmed Hassanein ready to ‘Wreak Havoc’ in year 2 Making fire with the Michigan Science Center! 3 squirrels found dead outside iconic Detroit book store Rochester approves downtown social district to boost local Businesses Protesters are starting to gather in Dearborn before a city council meeting Cannabis dispensary wins Flock camera removal after city agreement Belle Isle Aquarium: 122 Years of stories and survival Flock CEO on regulation and privacy Thousands expected to protest at Dearborn City Council meeting Fire kills 3 at reported adult foster care home More issues on Clement Road in Northville Detroit Riverfront redevelopment: Bedrock, GM seek public input on future plans Flock CEO defends his company in interview with Local 4 Daughter renews plea for answers in father’s 2004 Detroit killing Previous video Next video