DETROIT – The number of confirmed cases of the coronavirus (COVID-19) in Michigan has risen to 120,526 as of Friday, including 6,708 deaths, state officials report.
Friday’s update represents 929 new cases and eight additional deaths. On Thursday, the state totals were 119,597 cases and 6,700 deaths.
Here’s a look at visits to Michigan emergency departments with COVID-19 symptoms present, dating back to January 2020.
Coronavirus-like symptoms: This query searches visit free-text (chief complaint, triage notes, and clinical impression) for fever or chills AND cough or shortness of breath or difficulty breathing.
Data Source: Michigan Syndromic Surveillance System and National Syndromic Surveillance Program, Michigan Department of Health and Human Services, Communicable Disease Division, Surveillance and Infectious Disease Epidemiology Section
Note: Recent changes in healthcare seeking behavior, including increasing use of telemedicine and recommendations to limit emergency department (ED) visits to severe illness, as well as changes in ED triage practices and alternative COVID-19 testing sites, are impacting ED visits in Michigan. These changes affect the numbers of people and their reasons for seeking care in the Urgent Care and ED settings.
Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer and New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo released a joint statement this week calling for a Congressional oversight investigation into the Trump administration’s pandemic response.
Gov. Gretchen Whitmer said her use of emergency powers to manage the pandemic is not unique and she worries that efforts to take away her unilateral authority, if successful, could lead coronavirus cases to spike to dangerous levels in Michigan.
The Democrat locked down the state in the spring, when the deadly virus hit and threatened to overwhelm hospitals, but she has since reopened schools and much of the economy — with restrictions on gathering sizes and businesses such as restaurants. Throughout the summer, Michigan has fared better with COVID-19 than many other states after it was initially a hot spot nationally.
- Upper Peninsula Michigan county stops in-person learning after virus spike
- Whitmer, Cuomo call for federal investigation into Trump’s pandemic response
- Debunking 3 popular conspiracies about coronavirus
- Up to $500 available for hospitality workers in Michigan impacted by coronavirus
- University of Michigan to ramp up asymptomatic, saliva-based COVID-19 testing in October
- Grand Valley State University students ordered to ‘stay in place’ after COVID-19 outbreak
- Is Michigan Gov. Whitmer planning more restrictions after COVID-19 outbreaks in Lansing Region?
Michigan COVID-19 daily reported cases since Sept. 1:
- Sept. 1 -- 718 new cases
- Sept. 2 -- 524 new cases
- Sept. 3 -- 685 new cases
- Sept. 4 -- 982 new cases
- Sept. 5 -- 838 new cases
- Sept. 6 -- 578 new cases
- Sept. 7 -- 578 new cases
- Sept. 8 -- 441 new cases
- Sept. 9 -- 783 new cases
- Sept. 10 -- 924 new cases
- Sept. 11 -- 1,313 new cases
- Sept. 12 -- 692 new cases
- Sept. 13 -- 544 new cases
- Sept. 14 -- 544 new cases
- Sept. 15 -- 571 new cases
- Sept. 16 -- 680 new cases
- Sept. 17 -- 829 new cases
- Sept. 18 -- 695 new cases
- Sept. 19 -- 483 new cases
- Sept. 20 -- 768 new cases
- Sept. 21 -- 768 new cases
- Sept. 22 -- 504 new cases
- Sept. 23 -- 705 new cases
- Sept. 24 -- 982 new cases
- Sept. 25 -- 929 new cases
Michigan COVID-19 daily reported deaths since Sept. 1:
- Sept. 1 -- 15 new deaths (8 from vital records)
- Sept. 2 -- 14 new deaths
- Sept. 3 -- 10 new deaths (9 from vital records)
- Sept. 4 -- 7 new deaths
- Sept. 5 -- 8 new deaths
- Sept. 6 -- 2 new deaths
- Sept. 7 -- 2 new deaths
- Sept. 8 -- 1 new death
- Sept. 9 -- 13 new deaths
- Sept. 10 -- 17 new deaths (9 from vital records)
- Sept. 11 -- 9 new deaths
- Sept. 12 -- 13 deaths, all from vital records
- Sept. 13 -- 5 new deaths
- Sept. 14 -- 5 new deaths
- Sept. 15 -- 11 new deaths (5 from vital records)
- Sept. 16 -- 11 new deaths
- Sept. 17 -- 9 new deaths (5 from vital records)
- Sept. 18 -- 6 new deaths
- Sept. 19 -- 15 new deaths (12 from vital records)
- Sept. 20 -- 6 new deaths
- Sept. 21 -- 6 new deaths
- Sept. 22 -- 15 new deaths (3 from vital records)
- Sept. 23 -- 12 new deaths
- Sept. 24 -- 8 new deaths
- Sept. 25 -- 8 new deaths
- View more: Michigan COVID-19 data 📊📈
- Tracking moving 7-day average of new COVID-19 cases in Michigan
- Tracking Michigan emergency room visits with COVID-19 symptoms
- Cases and deaths by race, ethnicity
- Tracking Michigan COVID-19 hospitalization data trends
- Michigan COVID-19 cases, deaths by sex
- Tracking Michigan’s active COVID-19 cases
- Tracking growth factor of daily new COVID-19 cases in Michigan
- Coronavirus news
- Question about coronavirus? Ask Dr. McGeorge here.
- More: Reopening Michigan updates
- More: Return to School updates
Here is the moving 7-day average of COVID-19 cases in Michigan:
🌟 Become an Insider 🌟
Introducing WDIV Insider: A new way for loyal Local 4 fans to gain access and customize your ClickOnDetroit news experience. This new and free membership is our way of saying thank you — and your way of getting in on the news action. WDIV Insiders will gain exclusive access to the Local 4 team and station, including personalized messages, offers and deals to big events, and an elevated voice in our news coverage. Learn more about WDIV Insider - and sign up here!