DETROIT – The number of confirmed cases of the coronavirus (COVID-19) in Michigan has risen to 463,403 as of Monday, including 11,532 deaths, state officials report.
Monday’s update includes 4,551 new cases and 71 additional deaths over the past two days. On Saturday, the state reported a total of 458,852 confirmed cases and 11,461 deaths.
The state’s last update on Saturday included 3,896 new cases and 187 additional deaths -- including 155 deaths that were identified during a review of records, meaning they did not occur between Friday and Saturday.
The state reported a total of 284,731 recoveries on Saturday.
Hospitalizations started to decline in December. As of Friday night there were 3,261 inpatients with COVID at Michigan hospitals.
According to Johns Hopkins University, more than 17.5 million COVID cases have been reported across the country as of Saturday. More than 315,000 have died in the U.S. from the virus.
Worldwide, more than 76 million people have been confirmed infected and more than 1.6 million have died, according to Johns Hopkins University. The true numbers are certainly much higher, because of limited testing, different ways nations count the dead and deliberate under-reporting by some governments.
The U.S. added a second COVID-19 vaccine to its arsenal Friday, Dec. 19, boosting efforts to beat back an outbreak so dire that the nation is regularly recording more than 3,000 deaths a day.
Much-needed doses are set to arrive Monday after the Food and Drug Administration authorized an emergency rollout of the vaccine developed by Moderna Inc. and the National Institutes of Health.
Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer announced the state is revising its COVID-19 order to resume in-person high school classes, reopen certain indoor entertainment venues and allow non-contact outdoor sports and fitness classes.
The state is currently under a “pause” that placed stricter COVID-19 regulations on restaurants, schools and more, but that order was scheduled to expire Sunday (Dec. 20).
Now, the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services has issued a revised version of the order, which will be in effect until Jan. 15.
Here we are tracking COVID-19 vaccine doses distributed per 1,000 residents in each Michigan county:
The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services launched “CV19 CheckUp” -- a free, anonymous tool that evaluates someone’s risks associated with COVID-19.
“This tool, which we will make available to all Michiganders, helps individuals understand their risk based on their life situation and personal behavior, and offers recommendations to reduce those risks while also connecting people to services if needed,” said Dr. Alexis Travis, senior deputy director of the Aging & Adult Services Agency.
Travis said the tool can be used by all Michigan residents, but it’s specifically designed to help adults 60 and older. It is anonymous and does not require a name, email address or identifier of any type.
The tool used artificial intelligence to analyze each person through an online questionnaire. It is designed for those who are considered high-risk.
Michigan COVID-19 daily reported cases since Dec. 1:
- Dec. 1 -- 5,793 new cases
- Dec. 2 -- 6,955 new cases
- Dec. 3 -- 7,146 new cases
- Dec. 4 -- 8,689 new cases
- Dec. 5 -- 6,004 new cases
- Dec. 6 -- 4,675 new cases
- Dec. 7 -- 4,675 new cases
- Dec. 8 -- 5,909 new cases
- Dec. 9 -- 4,905 new cases
- Dec. 10 -- 5,937 new cases
- Dec. 11 -- 5,157 new cases
- Dec. 12 -- 4,486 new cases
- Dec. 13 -- 3,602 new cases
- Dec. 14 -- 3,603 new cases
- Dec. 15 -- 4,730 new cases
- Dec. 16 -- 4,037 new cases
- Dec. 17 -- 4,024 new cases
- Dec. 18 -- 4,180 new cases
- Dec. 19 -- 3,896 new cases
- Dec. 20 -- 2,275 new cases
- Dec. 21 -- 2,276 new cases
Michigan COVID-19 daily reported deaths since Dec. 1:
- Dec. 1 -- 190 new deaths (30 from vital records)
- Dec. 2 -- 81 new deaths
- Dec. 3 -- 175 new deaths (112 from vital records)
- Dec. 4 -- 81 new deaths
- Dec. 5 -- 193 new deaths (145 from vital records)
- Dec. 6 -- 46 new deaths
- Dec. 7 -- 47 new deaths
- Dec. 8 -- 191 new deaths
- Dec. 9 -- 75 new deaths
- Dec. 10 -- 182 new deaths (132 from vital records)
- Dec. 11 -- 61 new deaths
- Dec. 12 -- 206 new deaths (176 from vital records)
- Dec. 13 -- 45 new deaths
- Dec. 14 -- 45 new deaths
- Dec. 15 -- 183 new deaths (71 from vital records)
- Dec. 16 -- 83 new deaths
- Dec. 17 -- 190 new deaths (125 from vital records)
- Dec. 18 -- 66 new deaths
- Dec. 19 -- 187 new deaths (155 from vital records)
- Dec. 20 -- 35 new deaths
- Dec. 21 -- 36 new deaths
- View more: Michigan COVID-19 data 📊📈
- Question about coronavirus? Ask Dr. McGeorge here.
- More: Return to School updates
🌟 Become an Insider 🌟
Introducing WDIV Insider: A new way for loyal Local 4 fans to gain access and customize your ClickOnDetroit news experience. This new and free membership is our way of saying thank you — and your way of getting in on the news action. WDIV Insiders will gain exclusive access to the Local 4 team and station, including personalized messages, offers and deals to big events, and an elevated voice in our news coverage. Learn more about WDIV Insider - and sign up here!