DETROIT - It's been one week since residents on Detroit's east side were placed on heightened alert as police searched for a serial killer.
While police believe they have the killer in custody, the fear of those in that community has not subsided.
The corner of Mack Avenue and Mt. Elliott Street is a spot where many people hang out, but since someone found the body of Tamara Jones inside a vacant house and police linked her death to a possible serial killer, the mood has shifted.
"It ain't like it used to be since this happened," Diane Parker said.
Parker knew Jones.
"Tammy (Jones) was the nicest girl. She was a neighborhood girl. She didn't deserve what she got," Parker said.
Parker said she knows Deangelo Martin, the man police suspect is behind the killings. He spent time in the east side area.
"She was already dead, and he was in the park with us," Parker said.
The investigation continues, and community groups like The Angel Squad are making sure those on this corner aren't forgotten
"Let them know they're still connected with the human family regardless of their conditions," minister Fuqua Bey, with the Angel Squad, said.
The same group who searched vacant houses wearing white hazmat suits looking for bodies returned a week later, this time to show compassion
Watch the video above for the full report.
- Nancy Harrison - Body discovered on March 19 on Coventry Street -- she is considered the first victim.
- Travesene Ellis - Body discovered on May 24 on Linnhurst Street -- she is considered the second victim.
- Tamara M. Jones, who was found in a vacant house on Mack Avenue on Wednesday, June 5.
- Anyone with information needs to contact police at 313-596-2260.
- Detroit serial killer case: Macomb County mother shares details of daughter's attack
- Person of interest in Detroit serial killer case charged with sexually assaulting woman
- Serial killer suspect charged in east side stabbing and sexual assault
- Missing woman last seen with person of interest in Detroit serial killer investigation
- What we know about a possible serial killer case after multiple women found dead in Detroit
- Detroit police arrest person of interest in possible serial killer case
- Detroit police search for victims in vacant homes as hunt for possible serial killer continues
- Police provide update on Detroit serial killer case
- Detroit police working to identify 3rd victim in possible serial killer case
- Volunteers search for evidence against Detroit serial killer
- Murdered woman's daughter knows suspect in Detroit serial killer case
- Community working to protect women from potential serial killer in Detroit
- 'My sister didn't deserve this:' Family of woman slain by potential Detroit serial killer speak out
- Women patrol Detroit streets in search for suspected serial killer
- Detroit police link deaths of 3 women to possible serial killer targeting sex workers
- Detroit police believe serial killer is targeting sex workers on city's east side
- Detroit police look for possible serial killer targeting sex workers
- What we know: Detroit police investigating potential serial killer, rapist targeting sex workers
Copyright 2019 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.