Barricaded situation in Royal Oak ends, 34-year-old suspected gunman shot by police

Suspected gunman rushed to William Beaumont Hospital Royal Oak

According to authorities, the suspected gunman emerged from the house at about 8:30 p.m. and pointed a rifle at law enforcement officers when a member of the SWAT team shot him.

ROYAL OAK, Mich. – A barricaded gunman situation in Royal Oak ended Saturday night when the suspected gunman was shot by police and rushed to a hospital.

UPDATE: Suspected barricaded gunman who was shot by police dies at Beaumont Hospital Royal Oak

According to authorities, police responded to a report of a domestic dispute between a father and his adult son at a home in the 2700 block of Oliver Road at about 2 p.m. Police said the 34-year-old son was intoxicated and assaulted his father, who called 911.

Neighbors said the man was ex-military and was believed to be suffering from post traumatic stress disorder when he assaulted his father.

Police added he was heavily armed, wearing body armor and barricaded himself inside the Royal Oak residence.

Police said they made phone contact with the son and made repeated attempts to convince him to peacefully surrender. Police said they could hear gunshots coming from inside the house and the suspect made threats to shoot officers.

Police set up a perimeter and urged in the area -- on Galpin and Glenview avenues and Oliver and Glenwood roads -- to shelter in place, stay away from windows and take cover in basements if possible.

Police said at about 4 p.m., the Oakland County SWAT Team arrived, took over the situation and continued to negotiate with the man inside.

After about two and a half hours of no contact, police said they used a SWAT robot and drone to break through the door and search the house.

Authorities said communication was reestablished with the suspected gunman after the drone was disabled.

“There was a lady out there with the police department who was talking to Jason, She was saying, ‘Jason, come out with your hands up,’” said neighbor Ted Boiteau.

“That’s what it sounded like,” Carol Boiteau said.

“She was trying to talk him out,” Ted Boiteau said. “This went on for quite awhile and while she was talking, we heard a gunshot.”

“And then everything was quiet,” Carol Boiteau said.

The gunshot came from police at 8:28 p.m.

According to authorities, the suspected gunman emerged from the house at about 8:30 p.m., pointed a rifle at law enforcement officers and a member of the SWAT team shot him.

Police said deputies and the Royal Oak Fire Department administered aid to the man and he was rushed to the Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak.

As of 10 p.m., the suspected gunman was still alive at the hospital. His parents are expected to be OK.

The investigation is ongoing. Anyone with information is asked to contact the Royal Oak Police Department at 248-246-3456.

More: Oakland County News

About the Authors:

Dane is a producer and media enthusiast. He previously worked freelance video production and writing jobs in Michigan, Georgia and Massachusetts. Dane graduated from the Specs Howard School of Media Arts.

Jason is Local 4’s utility infielder. In addition to anchoring the morning newscast, he often reports on a variety of stories from the tragic, like the shootings at Michigan State, to the off-beat, like great gas station food.