What to know today 🌅
Democratic presidential candidate and former Vice President Joe Biden is scheduled to speak in Warren where he will deliver remarks on his “plan to ensure the future is Made in America by all of America’s workers,” according to his campaign.
Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer said she is concerned that people attending political events in the state this week will not be following social distancing and mask-wearing mandates, particularly those who will attend an event for President Donald Trump.
An inmate at the Wayne County Jail has been charged with first-degree premeditated murder in connection with the deadly attack on Sheriff’s deputy Corporal Bryant Searcy.
A bill that would allow Michigan clerks to start processing absentee ballots before Election Day is not dead, and the August primary legitimized concerns that some officials will not be able to quickly handle a surge of mailed-in ballots during the coronavirus pandemic, a legislative leader said.
The world is getting closer to passing a temperature limit set by global leaders five years ago and may exceed it in the next decade or so, according to a new United Nations report.
In the next five years, the world has nearly a 1-in-4 chance of experiencing a year that’s hot enough to put the global temperature at 2.7 degrees (1.5 degrees Celsius) above pre-industrial times, according to a new science update.
It has been 176 days since Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer closed gyms statewide, and Wednesday is the big day for gyms in Metro Detroit as they are reopening with major precautions. The big question is: will you go back?
In a head to head matchup of likely November 2020 Michigan general election voters, Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden continues to lead President Donald Trump by five points, 47 percent to 42 percent.
Democratic Michigan U.S. Senator Gary Peters is in a tight race with Republican challenger John James, according to a new WDIV/Detroit News poll. Sen. Peters is running for his second term in the U.S. Senate, while John James is making his second attempt at being an incumbent for the seat. James lost to Sen. Debbie Stabenow in 2018.
Gov. Gretchen Whitmer has signed a bill to allow Michigan residents who qualify for unemployment to earn an extra $300 per week as the pandemic continues. The $300 payments will continue until allocated relief funding has been exhausted.
The number of confirmed cases of the coronavirus (COVID-19) in Michigan has risen to 107,812 as of Tuesday, including 6,539 deaths, state officials report.
Tuesday’s update represents 441 new cases and one additional death. On Monday, the state totals were 107,371 cases and 6,538 deaths.
New COVID-19 cases and deaths remain flat in Michigan. Testing has remained steady, with an average of more than 30,000 per day, with the positive rate between 3 and 3.5 percent. The state reported its highest one-day testing total with more than 41,000 diagnostic tests on Aug. 21.
Hospitalizations have increased slightly over the last month but remain lower than in April. Ventilator use is at its lowest point since tracking.
Michigan has reported 80,678 recoveries. The state also reports “active cases,” which were listed at 20,600 on Tuesday. Michigan’s 7-day moving average for daily cases was 661 on Tuesday. The state’s fatality rate is 6.1 percent.
Here’s a look at more of the data:
- Track the live Michigan Weather Radar here
- Track severe weather alerts here
- Submit storm photos here
- Find more weather forecast articles at Weather Center
- Elected officials call for independent investigation into Detroit police’s use of force against protestors
- Mother, 3 children hospitalized after vehicle was T-boned, police say
- 4 ways to reduce the spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19) this fall in Michigan
- St. Clair Shores woman has misplaced winning lottery tickets returned after playing same numbers for years
- Detroit homeowners want changes to 'dangerous curve on city’s west side
- General Motors receives $2 billion stake in electric car company working on trucks
- Michigan Opera Theatre names Yuval Sharon new artistic director
- COVID-19 vaccine manufacturers join together to pledge no corners will be cut
- GOP proposes ‘targeted’ virus aid, but Dems say not enough
- Explosive wildfires across California stoked by fierce winds
- 7 killed at large-scale California marijuana operation
- DOJ asks to defend Trump in rape accuser’s defamation suit
- Rochester, NY police leaders retire after suffocation death
- Census Bureau stops layoffs for door knockers after order
- EU: Britain must respect Brexit deal down to the letter
- Norwegian lawmaker nominates Trump for Nobel Peace Prize
- Afghan officials: Kabul bomb targets VP, kills 10 civilians
Sports Headlines ⚾🏀🏈🏒⚽
- Midwest legislative leaders urge Big Ten to reconsider fall sports
- Human rights groups ask IOC to move Olympics from China
- Innovative, ultramodern SoFi Stadium ready to welcome NFL
- NBA will allow team staff to bring guests to Disney bubble
- Johnson, Scheffler favorites for tour’s top player, rookie