DETROIT – The City of Detroit is focusing COVID-19 testing on the city’s nursing homes, where some of the most vulnerable citizens live.
Mayor Mike Duggan said he is deeply concerned about the city’s nursing home population.
He said roughly a third of the city’s nursing home population has COVID-19, and there have been a dozen recent deaths attributed to the virus.
So far, a couple thousand patients have been tested, but the mayor wants every resident tested by Thursday.
The testing will also include every staff member at each nursing home.
“For the next two weeks the Detroit Health Department and Henry Ford Health System teamed up to go out and test all of the nursing homes in Detroit. So that is the goal. So they will be going to the nursing homes getting tested and then they’ll also be receiving their tests within 24 to 48 hours,” said Deputy Chief of Staff for the City of Detroit, Elisa Malile.
The city is also adjusting its free testing program from the Michigan State Fairgrounds to the Joseph Walker Williams Recreation Center.
Testing is proceeding both inside and outside by appointment. A variety of residents, both from the city and outside the county go there for testing.
The number of confirmed cases of the coronavirus in Michigan has risen to 272,034 as of Tuesday, including 8,128 deaths, state officials report.
Tuesday’s update represents 7,458 new cases and 79 additional deaths, including 24 from a Vital Records review.
To contact the Joseph Walker Williams Recreation Center at 8431 Rosa Parks Boulevard on the city’s west side call 313-230-0505.
Since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, Local 4 and ClickOnDetroit has been tracking the latest data to help better understand the situation across the state.
Our COVID-19 Data section tracks many of the key data points health officials are watching closely every single day.
Track key COVID-19 data points in Michigan:
- Tracking COVID-19 hospitalizations
- Tracking COVID-19 daily cases and deaths
- Tracking COVID-19 7-day case and death averages
- Tracking COVID-19 testing data
- Tracking COVID-19 outbreaks in schools
- Tracking COVID-19 recoveries
- Tracking COVID-19 cases and deaths by county
- Tracking COVID-19 cases and deaths in long term care facilities
- Tracking active COVID-19 cases
- Tracking COVID-19 cases and deaths by race, ethnicity
- Tracking emergency room visits with COVID-19 symptoms