ClickOnDetroit NIGHTSIDE report -- Wednesday, July 3, 2019
Neighbors rush to help rescue family from fatal fire
When a fire ripped through a Sterling Heights home Wednesday morning, neighbors rushed to try to help. Christian Koki, 18, died in the fire. Two other victims survived but suffered burns to more than 30 to 40 percent of their bodies.
"We were on the patio and we heard somebody screaming," Carol Yee said. "My husband ran out. He had a fire extinguisher. They broke out all the windows in the back."
WATCH Local 4 News at 11
4 fast facts
Auto legend Lee Iacocca, who died Tuesday, left an indelible mark on the auto industry in Detroit. Read more.
Ten beaches in Michigan are currently closed due to high bacteria levels during the Independence Day week. Learn more .
Cityview Senior Tower is in need of some relief. One of the main air conditioning units has been down, and some apartments are unbearably hot. Read more .
Police in Clinton Township took a suspected gunman into custody in Budd Park. Learn more .
A Metro Detroit man nearly lost his life when he was hit by a work truck while doing electrical work on I-75 in Oakland County.
Daniel Clark Jr. was on life support after being run over and pinned by the truck in April. He managed to pull through, and on Tuesday, he walked for the first time since the accident.
The mother of a little girl who was having trouble seeing in class thought her daughter just needed glasses, but experts learned something much more serious was happening.
The initial symptoms Sara Saldana was experiencing weren't alarming to eye doctors.
She complained that she couldn't read the board at school, so her mother took her for an eye exam. Sara was given a pair of mild prescription glasses, and for a while, all seemed fine.
Police said they've identified seven bodies exhumed in May, but they're still serving warrants in cemeteries.
The investigation is part of Operation United, a project aimed at identifying homicide victims from cases that go back decades. Detroit police said it's a difficult process.
What not to grill
With the Fourth of July holiday on the horizon, top chefs told Bloomberg about foods you shouldn't grill, and the list included an American favorite: burgers.
Burgers were the first on the list of foods top chefs said not to grill. The reasoning is that when you grill them, you lose the juices. Instead you should use a cast iron pan or a flat top.
- Vote 4 the Best: Tips for Becoming Vegan
- Classic Rock Bracket Round 2: Crowning the best act of the iconic music era
- Macomb County boater nearly loses finger at Jobbie Nooner
- Your guide to the 2019 Ann Arbor Art Fair
- Organization offers easier kayak launching access along Clinton River
- Good Health: Grilling rules to protect your family from food poisoning
- Southfield animal rescue at risk of losing building when city puts property up for bid
- 100 and 102-year-old couple weds in town outside of Toledo
Looking for something in particular? Find it here.
Tweets by Local4News
Copyright 2019 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.