Looking back at Detroit Debates ️| Tigers make moves ⚾ | August has arrived ☀️
"Warm summer evenings on Belle Isle, doesn’t get much better than that." @chase_gagnon/Instagram
Can you believe it's August already? The year always seems to fly by. Before you know it, we'll have s*** on the ground. (That's snow, by the way.) Thursday will be a perfect weather day to start the month.
The weekend is looking glorious, for the most part. We'll keep you posted.
Check the latest forecast at ClickOnDetroit.com/WeatherCenter.
Road and bridge work will require closing eastbound I-94 from US-12 (Michigan Avenue) to I-75 starting at 9 p.m. Friday, Aug. 2. All lanes of the freeway are expected to reopen by 5 a.m. Monday, Aug. 5. So, prepare for that if you have Detroit plans. Find a detour here.
A couple of construction notes to know about for Thursday in Oakland County:
- EB I-696 Service Drive (10 Mile Rd) at M-1 (Woodward Ave) left lane closed for construction.
- SB I-75 from Giddings Rd to Square Lake Rd three lanes closed for construction
- Woodward near 10 Mile Road will have single lane closures for two weeks.
🚧 BTW: The northbound I-75 exit to Chrysler Drive in Oakland County will be shut down this weekend and remain closed through the end of August. More on this here.
Check the live Traffic Map here.
ClickOnDetroit will host a special live show this morning recapping the second night of Democratic presidential debates in Detroit. We'll cover the highlights the lowlights and everything in between. Watch the show with host Jason Carr live here at 9 a.m.
The MLB Trade Deadline has passed and the "rebuilding" Tigers have traded away two players. Closer Shane Greene was traded to Atlanta, and outfielder Nicholas Castellanos was traded to the Chicago Cubs. We'll have much more analysis on who the team got in return on Thursday. Check back with us.
A Macomb Township woman installed hidden cameras in her kitchen and caught her husband deliberately poisoning her coffee, according to officials. The man is scheduled to be sentenced Thursday after pleading guilty to poisoning. We'll have the latest from the courtroom later today.
The Detroit Pistons are hosting free youth activities as part of the club's Pistons Neighbors Program at Bennett Park on Thursday, August 1 from 5:30 to 7 p.m. to promote health and wellness in the neighborhoods while activating recently renovated basketball courts.
🗓️ Here's what's on the calendar:
- Aug. 2 -- The Inaugural Frankenmuth Flower Festival 🌼
- Aug. 6 -- Primary election day for many communities across Michigan 🗳️
- Aug. 8 -- World Cat Day 🐱
- Aug. 8 -- Lions open preseason against New England 🏈
- Aug. 8 -- National Book Lovers Day 📚 ❤️
- Aug. 9 -- 🤣 Impractical Jokers bring tour to DTE
- Aug. 12 -- Middle Child Day 👪
- Aug. 17 -- ⚔️♞ Renaissance Festival begins!
- Aug. 17 -- Woodward Dream Cruise 🚗
- Aug. 29 -- Michigan State Fair begins 🎡
- Aug. 30 -- Arts, Beats and Eats weekend 🖼️ 🎶 🍔
- Aug. 30 -- Detroit Jazz Festival kicks off 🎷
Check the Live Guide calendar for more local events, and post your own.
Today in history: MTV debuts 📺
On this day in 1981, MTV: Music Television goes on the air for the first time ever, with the words (spoken by one of MTV’s creators, John Lack): “Ladies and gentlemen, rock and roll.” The Buggles’ “Video Killed the Radio Star” was the first music video to air on the new cable television channel.
The first real look at "The Irishman," director Martin Scorsese’s film on organized crime and the disappearance of Jimmy Hoffa, was released on Wednesday. The film is due out on Netflix this fall. Watch the trailer here.
We've been rolling out our Vote 4 the Best winner lists, and one of the more popular lists has been the thai restaurants category. Did your favorite make the cut? Check it out.
A couple of concerts around town:
- Ringo Starr and His All Starr Band are at the Caesars Windsor 8 p.m.
- Happy Together: The Turtles, Chuck Negron, Gary Puckett and the Union Gap at MGM Grand at 7 p.m.
If you haven't gotten in on this Renaissance Festival tickets discount, do it now! Seriously, you can't lose here, and it's a GREAT time over at the festival. It's available for a limited-time -- you can only buy these tickets for a 50% discount through Aug. 17.
Here's a link to learn more about the 2019 Renaissance Festival. This year's festival runs weekends and Labor Day, Aug. 17 to Sept. 29. The fun all happens at 12600 Dixie Hwy, Holly, MI 48442.
Adventure awaits! Purchase your half-off tickets here!
📷 Today's Featured Photo: "Warm summer evenings on Belle Isle, doesn’t get much better than that." @chase_gagnon/Instagram
Submit your photo:
Send us a News Tip here.
Copyright 2019 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.