Autopsy: NHL goalie Matiss Kivlenieks killed by firework at Novi house party
DETROIT – A goalie from the National Hockey League was killed this weekend in Novi.
Matiss Kivlenieks, 24, a goalie for the Columbus Blue Jackets, was at a gathering Sunday night in Novi when there was some type of fireworks malfunction, according to Novi police.
Novi police previously said Kivlenieks slipped and hit his head while fleeing a hot tub due to a firework malfunction, but on Monday an autopsy revealed he was killed by blunt force trauma to the chest, authorities said.
“The cause of death includes trauma to the chest area with massive internal injuries,” said Lieutenant James Meier with the Novi Police Department.
WATCH Local 4 News at 11
Weather: Heat increases this week with temperatures expected to be the highest on Tuesday
After starting the holiday weekend below normal, we’re well above that mark and getting hotter.
4 Fast Facts
- After much controversy, the new owner of the Detroit Popcorn Company is happy to bring change to the business that has been operating almost a whole century. Click here to read more.
- One person was killed in a condo explosion that happened on Villa Pointe Drive in Warren on Sunday (July 4) night. Click here to read more.
- People living near the water on Detroit’s east side said massive flooding that filled basements with raw sewage should not have been as severe if all the pumps had been working. Click here to read more.
- Police are investigating a double homicide that happened in Pontiac Sunday night. Click here to read more.
Health officials urge parents of unvaccinated children to remain vigilant against delta variant of COVID
The more contagious delta COVID variant is gaining steam in the United States, especially in areas with lower rates of vaccination.
Health officials are warning that parents with children who are still too young to be vaccinated need to be paying attention to the risk.
Experts weigh in on keeping children safe around bonfires, grills this summer
Many families enjoy spending time at backyard barbecues or gathered around a bonfire, which puts more children and teens suffering accidental burns.
Doctors who treat burns want parents to understand how common they are and what they can do to reduce the risk of injury.