DETROIT – Wayne State University has extended its spring break by an extra week and moves classes online due to concerns about the coronavirus, school officials said.
University officials shared the following message on Thursday:
“Face-to-face classes are cancelled March 16-22. However, classes that were scheduled to be online during this period will continue as scheduled. Remote instruction for all classes begins on March 23. The campus will remain open. Further communication is forthcoming regarding hours and services available, including libraries, the Student Center, dining, etc.”
Michigan had been one of just 13 states untouched by the coronavirus, but Tuesday night, Gov. Gretchen Whitmer announced two confirmed cases -- one each in Oakland and Wayne counties.
Other school changes:
- Michigan State University moves to online classes only
- Michigan Tech suspends face-to-face instruction
- Central Michigan University moves classes online
- University of Toledo cancels on-campus instruction through March 30
- Classes will continue as scheduled at University of Michigan
Campus housing is open, but students are encouraged to return home if they don’t need to be on campus. Students unable to go to an off-campus location can still use the school’s housing and dining facilities, Wayne State announced.
All university-sponsored international travel is prohibited.
All events with 100 or more people will be canceled, as recommended by the Centers For Disease Control and Prevention. Events with less than 100 people are also discouraged for social distancing, school officials said.
The university will update students about the status of upcoming commencement ceremonies.
The health schools and colleges have unique student instruction situations, so the deans of those schools will be in touch with students, according to the university.
To learn more about coronavirus and how to give yourself the best chance to stay healthy, read Dr. Frank McGeorge’s answers to the questions below.
- Is it true that a person with the coronavirus is contagious two weeks before they feel sick?
- Can the flu shot or pneumonia vaccine prevent a coronavirus infection?
- Is it true that children haven’t been affected at the same rate as adults?
- Is it true that coronavirus sickens people for 10 to 15 days?
- Is it true that warmer weather will naturally stop the spread of coronavirus?
- Will spraying streets and buildings with disinfectant be effective against coronavirus?
- Do masks help protect against coronavirus? How long can it live on surfaces?
- Have people recovered from coronavirus? Are we relying too much on hand sanitizer?
- Can coronavirus spread to pets? Are you immune after you’ve been infected?
- Is coronavirus spread by insects?
- Should people at higher risk because of age or other medical problems take different precautions?
- Is it safe to travel? Should you stock up on water?
- How do you know if you have COVID-19 or the flu? Can zinc treat the virus?
- Can you get coronavirus from handling money?
- Can store workers contaminate food with coronavirus? Are children affected more than we thought?
- Can you get coronavirus from a toilet seat? How long does it take to receive test results?
- Can coronavirus cause patients to develop severe diseases? Does asthma increase that risk?