What to know today 🌅
Michigan Democratic U.S. Senator Gary Peters has increased his lead over Republican challenger John James heading into the final stretch of the 2020 election, a new WDIV/Detroit News poll shows.
The race for the U.S. Senate seat in Michigan has been a tight one, with previous WDIV/Detroit News polls showing the race in the margin of error - or just outside of it.
Michigan voters continue to support Gov. Gretchen Whitmer’s handling of the COVID-19 pandemic, while disapproving of President Donald Trump’s, according to a new WDIV/Detroit News poll.
The new survey asked Michigan voters for their feelings on the 2020 presidential race, key issues, and on Gov. Whitmer and President Trump’s handling of the COVID-19 pandemic.
We have a new survey for the next few days here to learn about what people have planned for the COVID Halloween weekend. Take the survey here.
Forget the usual approach of putting one bowl of candy at your front door and handing it out to children this Halloween. Instead, mask up and put on some gloves if you’re going to be handing out candy. Make up individual bags of candy that the trick-or-treaters can easily grab and go.
Dr. Frank McGeorge has all the tips you need to stay safe this weekend.
The number of confirmed cases of the coronavirus (COVID-19) in Michigan has risen to 164,274 as of Tuesday, including 7,239 deaths, state officials report.
Tuesday’s update represents 2,367 new cases and 28 additional deaths. On Monday, the state reported 161,907 total cases and 7,211 deaths.
New COVID-19 cases and deaths continue to rise in Michigan. Testing has increased in recent weeks, with more than 40,000 diagnostic tests reported per day, but the positive rate has increased to around 5%. Hospitalizations have increased steadily for the last four weeks, including upticks in critical care and ventilator use.
Michigan’s 7-day moving average for daily cases was 2,014 on Monday, the highest it has ever been. The state’s fatality rate is 4.5%. The state also reports “active cases,” which were listed at 39,700 as of Monday, its highest mark on record. More than 114,000 have recovered in Michigan.
Here’s a look at more of the data:
- Track the live Michigan Weather Radar here
- Track severe weather alerts here
- Submit storm photos here
- Find more weather forecast articles at Weather Center
- Police wrestle with driver after Oakland County road rage incident gets out of control
- Detroit NAACP outlines plans to prevent voter intimidation and harassment at polls
- Walled Lake Consolidated Schools delays return to in-person learning following security breach
- Metro Detroit man issues warning after contracting COVID-19, losing mom and aunt to deadly disease
- Trump to appeal to Nevada voters from neighboring Arizona
- Biden faces challenges in quickly combating the pandemic
- QAnon’s ‘Save the Children’ morphs into popular slogan
Sports Headlines ⚾🏀🏈🏒⚽
- Dodgers ace Kershaw finally wins elusive World Series title
- Detroit Lions reportedly trade for veteran pass rusher Everson Griffen
- Michigan State coach Mel Tucker calls Michigan ‘school up/down the road’ 4 times ahead of matchup
- Wisconsin star QB Graham Mertz’s status uncertain vs. Michigan football in 3 weeks