Why your kids are revved up about the Fortnite update
A long-awaited update for Fortnite looks like it is finally getting the green light. After a few delays, regular cars is going to be added to Fortnite by Epic Games on Wednesday, according to Engadget. While Fortnite’s map has had bikes, hoverboards, planes and shopping carts, cars have been absent until now. Epic Games was forced to delay the update due to technical problems, leading to weeks of speculation over when the update will arrive. Here’s the trailer video for the “Joyride” update:
Ford recalls about 2.5M vehicles for latch, brake troubles
DETROIT Ford is recalling about 2.5 million vehicles in the U.S., Canada and elsewhere because of a nagging door latch problem and a brake fluid leak. The recall covers vehicles in the U.S. and includes the 2012 to 2015 Ford Focus, the 2013 to 2014 Ford Fusion, the 2011 to 2014 Ford Fiesta, and the 2013 to 2015 Ford Escape and C-Max. Also covered are the 2013 and 2014 Lincoln MKZ, the 2015 Lincoln MKC, the 2015 Ford Mustang and the 2014 to 2016 Ford Transit Connect van. The brake fluid recall covers certain 2014 through 2017 F-150s in the U.S. and Canada. Dealers will replace the brake master cylinder and the brake booster if it is leaking.
Man charged in connection with 2019 shooting outside Bosco Lounge in Ferndale
FERNDALE, Mich. A Detroit man is facing charges in connection with a shooting outside Bosco Lounge in Ferndale last summer. MORE: 2 people shot along Woodward Avenue, outside Ferndale clubTauheed Wilder is charged with two counts of assault with a dangerous weapon, one count of felon in possession of a firearm, four counts of felony firearm, second offense, one count of carrying a concealed weapon, one count of felon in possession of ammunition, and one count of assault and battery. An altercation on Aug. 30, 2019, between Wilder, his brother and security guards at the popular lounge resulted in an exchange of gunfire, officials said. Wilders bond was set at $75,000. He is due back in court May 28.
Oakland County sheriffs deputies find skeletal remains believed to be man killed a year ago
PONTIAC, Mich. Oakland County sheriffs deputies believe skeletal remains found in a Pontiac park Monday belong to a man killed last May. MORE: Deputies believe Pontiac man killed missing manDeputies were called to Galloway Lake Park at 1470 N. Perry, where they found what is believed to be the remains of Eugene Bass Jr.Bass, a father of seven, was last seen May 23, 2019, when he was seen getting into a vehicle in Pontiac. Witnesses told officials gunshots were heard coming from the vehicle as it was driven away. Dental records will be used to verify that the remains are Bass. Paul Anthony Hall was charged with homicide -- open murder, possession of firearms by a felon and two counts of possession of a firearm in the commission of a felony, in connection with Bass death.
Taylor father accused of shooting son during argument
TAYLOR, Mich. A Taylor man is facing charges after he allegedly shot his 28-year-old son during an argument Thursday. Fredrick Larry Williams, 52, is charged with assault with intent to do great bodily harm, felonious assault, careless discharge of a weapon and two counts of felony firearm. When they arrived, they found a man with a gunshot wound in front of a home. According to police, Williams and his son were arguing. The argument allegedly turned physical before Williams is accused of shooting his son with a handgun.
Detroit man facing charges in connection with Lodge Freeway shooting
SOUTHFIELD, Mich. A Detroit man is facing charges after he allegedly shot someone while driving on the Lodge Freeway in Southfield on Sunday. Police say Butler pulled up next to the victims vehicle around 7:30 p.m. near the 8 Mile Road exit on the northbound side of the freeway and fired shots. Earlier this week, police said they believed the shooting was probably related to road rage. The victim needed surgery, but he is expected to recover. Butler was issued a $500,000 cash bond.
Michigan family who says they were forced out of home during COVID-19 pandemic get help
READ: Family says they’re out on the street after struggling to pay rent amid COVID-19 outbreak“Yesterday, there was really no light” Parks said. Parks and his wife said they were forced to leave their home after not being able to pay in the middle of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. They just been reaching out, trying to help,” Parks said. RELATED: AG sends cease and desist letter to Detroit apartment trying to illegally evict seniors during COVID-19 pandemicParks is looking into taking legal action. We need to help each other as much as possible, especially in this coronavirus epidemic,” Parks said.
Royal Oak city commissioners vote to censure member who attended ‘Operation Gridlock’
ROYAL OAK, Mich. – Royal Oak city commissioners voted to censure a commissioner who attended Operation Gridlock, a protest against Michigan’s coronavirus (COVID-19) stay-at-home order, earlier this month. READ: ‘Operation Gridlock’ -- Michigan stay-at-home order protested in LansingA censure is a formal condemnation. Royal Oak Mayor Michael Fournier called for Gibbs to resign after learning she attended the protest, saying she broke the law. She has filed a police report and is receiving protection from Royal Oak police after she said she was getting harassing phone calls, text messages and emails. MORE: Commissioner seeks police protection after attending ‘Operation Gridlock’Commissioners held a virtual meeting where they heard comments regarding the incident on Tuesday before voting 5-2 to pass the censure.
Brighton man sentenced to 5 1/2 to 10 years in prison for abusing girlfriend’s 1-year-old boy
BRIGHTON, Mich. – A Brighton man will spend 5 1/2 to 10 years in prison for abusing his girlfriend’s 1-year-old child last year, officials said. ORIGINAL REPORT: Mother’s boyfriend charged after ‘vicious abuse’ sends boy to hospitalLuke Tobia Sementelli was sentenced Friday in connection with the abuse that left the infant in critical condition last July. Officials said Semetelli threw the baby boy to the floor three times at Brighton Cove Apartments and shook the boy “feverishly.”The injuries caused the baby to suffer from seizures. Officials said he had to be placed on a ventilator.
Watch: A message from Crime Stoppers of Michigan about COVID-19
This is an update from Crime Stoppers of Michigan regarding the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. Watch here:As always, Crime Stoppers’ mission remains “to empower people to make their neighborhoods, schools, churches & businesses safer through the anonymous reporting of crime.”Call 800-SPEAK-UP.
President Trump approves emergency funding as coronavirus cases reach 100,000 worldwide
DETROIT – President Donald Trump approved emergency funding to fight coronavirus Friday as the number of cases hit 100,000 worldwide. The president signed an $8 million spending bill that will help fund vaccines, testing, treatment and preparations to stop the spread of the illness. Trump’s administration is trying to calm fears after growing scrutiny that the goal to have one million tests ready by the end of the week won’t be met. Top health official Dr. Anthony Fauci said the number is on track to hit one million in the next couple of weeks. Meanwhile, countries are urged to do everything they possibly can to stop the spread of coronavirus.
United States reports 11th coronavirus death -- Here’s the latest as virus spreads
DETROIT – A person in California has died from coronavirus, raising the death toll in the United States to 11. The death is the first death from the illness outside of Washington. Six new cases also emerged in Los Angeles County, prompting officials to declare a local health emergency so they can access more resources. Ask Dr. McGeorgeWhile the majority of people who contract the virus will recover, officials want to be prepared to fight the outbreak. Congressional negotiators have reached an agreement on $8.3 billion in emergency funding, which would help increase diagnostic testing.
Mother says Rochester High School teacher sneaked into student’s home at night for sex
ROCHESTER, Mich. – An Oakland County teacher learned her prison sentence Tuesday after parents said she would sneak into students’ homes for sex and give them drugs. Kathryn Houghtaling was a special education teacher at Rochester High School. Houghtaling is accused of having sex with the students multiple times, including at least once in a car while students watched. Before she was sentenced, Houghtaling read a letter to the judge. Houghtaling was sentenced to four to 15 years in prison and will have to register as a sex offender.
Detroit man found guilty after woman’s body discovered in dumpster
DETROIT – A Detroit man was found guilty Friday in connection with a woman’s body that was discovered in a dumpster last year. Officials say James Quill Cockerham dumped Elizabeth Candice-Nicole Laird’s body near Parkview Tower off of East Lafayette Boulevard on May 15, 2019. Police said Laird was last seen in an elevator with Cockerham a day before her body was found. He was found guilty of first-degree murder, torture and unlawful imprisonment. Cockerham will be sentenced March 3.