LANSING, Mich. – Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer rolled out her plan to restart school in the fall.
- Gov. Whitmer announces Michigan will not move to phase 5 of reopening plan before July 4 weekend
- Michigan reveals plan for schools to return to in-person learning this fall
Schools will need to develop three separate plans, depending on which phase of the reopening plan the state is in. That includes fully remote learning, in-person learning with strict protocols and a more relaxed plan for phase five.
The bottom line is that children and parents should be ready to return to in-person learning.
The challenge to returning to classrooms starts with limiting the number of students allowed together at any given time.
There’s also the issue of masks. Most parents are skeptical about the enforcement of face coverings.
Parents said it’s difficult to make decisions without any clear answers about what lies ahead in terms of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
You can watch Steve Garagiola’s full story in the video posted above.
View the full MI Safe Schools Return to School Roadmap below.
Michigan coronavirus cases
Whitmer lifted her months-long stay-at-home order June 1 and moved the remaining six regions to phase four of her reopening plan. Over the next three weeks, no single day brought more than 304 new confirmed cases, as Michigan was one of the top states in the nation in terms of flattening the curve.
But the tide started to turn June 24, when Michigan went from a spike of 221 new cases the previous day to 323 new cases -- the highest of the month. The next two days each set new monthly highs, and there have been five total days of more than 300 new cases in the last week.
Here’s much more coverage of the COVID-19 pandemic from throughout the month of June.
Whitmer’s handling of pandemic:
- Michigan stay-at-home order timeline: 70 days, 4 extensions, ever-changing restrictions
- Why Whitmer thought June 1 was right time to lift stay-at-home order
- Here are all 136 executive orders issued by Whitmer during COVID-19 pandemic
- List of Michigan executive orders that are still active
- Michigan salon owners ‘disrespected’ by Whitmer telling people to ‘Google how to do a haircut’
- Whitmer apologizes for comment that offended hair salon owners
- Whitmer admits flaws in controversial COVID-19 nursing home policy
- Michigan lawmakers demand Whitmer stop placing COVID-19 patients in nursing homes
- Whitmer lifts restrictions on overnight summer camps, school sports
- Whitmer calls attempts to strip her powers ‘irresponsible, dangerous, foolish’
- Gov. Whitmer extends Michigan state of emergency until July 16
- Michigan lawmakers pass resolutions against Whitmer’s nursing home policy
- Whitmer signs order allowing professional sports to return in Michigan without fans
- What’s gone wrong in Michigan’s handling of coronavirus in nursing homes
- Here’s how 25 sports have been divided into high, moderate, low COVID-19 risk categories
- How first day of restaurants reopening went in Metro Detroit
- Checking in with Metro Detroit auto plants 3 weeks after reopening
- Many Metro Detroiters feeling anxious about returning to world after COVID-19 shutdown
- What Mackinac Island is doing to safely welcome visitors back
- How first day of reopening went for Michigan hair salons, barbershops, spas
- Metro Detroit teachers prepare to navigate new normal when school returns in fall
- West Bloomfield begins practice as high school football season resumes amid COVID-19 pandemic
- Michigan Republican legislators unveil plans for school to return this fall
- MLB to play 60-game season -- spring training starts next week, Opening Day in late July
- Are Detroit bars, restaurants following COVID-19 rules or will they be shut down again?
Health questions, advice:
- Metro Detroit doctors say coronavirus survivors reporting mental health issues
- Is it true that wearing a mask for an extended period of time can be harmful?
- Is it safe to see friends? Should children have play dates? COVID-19 expert shares advice
- Should you feel safe going to restaurants now that they’ve reopened in Michigan?
- Is it safe to start letting children play organized team sports in Michigan?
- Answering 5 common haircut questions: Is it safe? Can COVID-19 survive on hair?
- Who was most severely affected during peak of coronavirus cases in Metro Detroit?
- New research: Children much less likely to get coronavirus, experience symptoms
- Is coronavirus seasonal? Should infection rates slow during summer?
- How to help children keep up social connections during coronavirus pandemic
- Answering 5 travel questions: Driving safer than flying? Avoid parts of country? Stay in hotels?
- What Dr. Anthony Fauci said about a timeline for a coronavirus vaccine
- 8 possible COVID-19 exposure locations identified in Traverse City after group fails to follow rules
- Experts worried about parents who aren’t taking children to doctor’s appointments
- Michigan lawmaker wants Whitmer to overhaul state’s unemployment agency
- Will extra COVID-19 unemployment benefits be extended or replaced by ‘back-to-work’ bonus?
- Here’s what scammers are doing to target Michiganders filing for unemployment
- Metro Detroit businesses struggle to find workers amid COVID-19 unemployment bonuses
- Detroit mother spends 33 days on ventilator right after emergency birth due to COVID-19
- Recently married couple separated for 30 more days due to extension of US-Canadian border closure
- Detroit Lions cheerleader works as nurse during coronavirus pandemic
- 6 differences you might notice next time you have a doctor’s appointment
- What reopened schools look like with coronavirus restrictions
- Espresso Royale Coffee forced to permanently shut down business due to pandemic
- These 4 Metro Detroit cities are closing streets to give restaurants more outdoor dining space
- 5 differences you’ll notice when you visit Michigan salons, barbershops and spas
- 12 changes University of Michigan students will notice this school year due to COVID-19
- Here are all rule changes, roster limits, strict safety measures in MLB’s 101-page operations manual
- Survey finds one-third of Michigan parents don’t plan to send children back to class this fall
- Metro Detroit’s economy takes another blow as COVID-19 concerns cancel Woodward Dream Cruise