LANSING, Mich. – Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer strengthened her mask rules Friday, but she also revealed the five exceptions that would allow someone to be inside businesses or public places without a mask.
Here are the five exceptions to Whitmer’s face covering rules:
1. Children younger than five years old
Children who are younger than five years old don’t have to follow the Michigan mask rules.
2. People who cannot medically tolerate a face covering
Anyone who cannot medically tolerate a face covering is not required to wear one.
Businesses can no longer assume customers without face coverings have medical justification for doing so.
Now, they must get verbal confirmation from unmasked customers that they have medical reasons for entering without a mask.
3. People eating or drinking while seated at restaurants
Customers who are eating or drinking while seated at their table at a food service establishment can take their masks off, Whitmer said.
Everyone must wear a mask while entering, exiting or walking around the restaurant.
4. People exercising in way that face covering would interfere
Someone who is exercising in a way that wearing a mask would interfere with that exercise is not required to wear it during that exercise.
5. Voting in election
Residents who go to a polling place for the purpose of voting in an election don’t have to wear masks.
Mask order update
Executive Order 2020-153 clarified Whitmer’s previous mask order. In addition to residents being required to wear masks in indoor public places and crowded outdoor areas, public safety officers must wear masks and businesses must ask unmasked customers if they have medical justification for being without a mask.
The order says public safety officers have to wear face coverings unless that would seriously interfere with doing their jobs.
- Whitmer warns ‘spotty compliance’ has Michigan on track for more COVID-19 cases than first peak
- Michigan will have to return to phase 3 of reopening plan if COVID-19 spike continues
- Gov. Whitmer can’t understand violence ‘over wearing piece of cloth on your face’
“Wearing a mask is the right thing to do to protect our families, our businesses and our economy,” Whitmer said. “If everyone in Michigan masks up, we can save thousands of lives and put ourselves in a better position to send our kids back to school in the fall. For the safety of our loved ones and our dedicated first responders on the front lines, mask up, Michigan.”
Over the past two weeks, every region in Michigan has seen an uptick in new coronavirus cases, and daily case counts now exceed 20 cases per million in all but one region in the state.
- Will federal government’s $600 COVID-19 unemployment bonus be extended before expiring?
- Why high COVID-19 survival rate is no reason to relax safety measures
- How one hair salon demonstrates the difference masks make in fighting coronavirus
Here’s much more recent coverage of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Whitmer’s handling of pandemic:
- Michigan stay-at-home order timeline: 70 days, 4 extensions, ever-changing restrictions
- Why Whitmer thought June 1 was right time to lift stay-at-home order
- Here are all 136 executive orders issued by Whitmer during COVID-19 pandemic
- List of Michigan executive orders that are still active
- Michigan salon owners ‘disrespected’ by Whitmer telling people to ‘Google how to do a haircut’
- Whitmer apologizes for comment that offended hair salon owners
- Whitmer admits flaws in controversial COVID-19 nursing home policy
- Michigan lawmakers demand Whitmer stop placing COVID-19 patients in nursing homes
- Whitmer lifts restrictions on overnight summer camps, school sports
- Whitmer calls attempts to strip her powers ‘irresponsible, dangerous, foolish’
- Gov. Whitmer extends Michigan state of emergency until July 16
- Michigan lawmakers pass resolutions against Whitmer’s nursing home policy
- Whitmer signs order allowing professional sports to return in Michigan without fans
- What’s gone wrong in Michigan’s handling of coronavirus in nursing homes
- Whitmer threatens stricter laws if Michigan residents refuse to ‘mask up’
- Metro Detroit businesses implement Whitmer’s new mask regulations
- Whitmer signs order requiring masks in indoor, some outdoor public spaces
- Here’s how Wayne County Sheriff’s Office plans to enforce new mask rules
- Here’s how Washtenaw County Sheriff’s Office plans to enforce new mask rules
- Michigan state of emergency extended until Aug. 11
- Police around Metro Detroit flooded by calls from residents reporting others not wearing masks
- Here’s how 25 sports have been divided into high, moderate, low COVID-19 risk categories
- How first day of restaurants reopening went in Metro Detroit
- Checking in with Metro Detroit auto plants 3 weeks after reopening
- Many Metro Detroiters feeling anxious about returning to world after COVID-19 shutdown
- What Mackinac Island is doing to safely welcome visitors back
- How first day of reopening went for Michigan hair salons, barbershops, spas
- Metro Detroit teachers prepare to navigate new normal when school returns in fall
- West Bloomfield begins practice as high school football season resumes amid COVID-19 pandemic
- Michigan Republican legislators unveil plans for school to return this fall
- MLB to play 60-game season -- spring training starts next week, Opening Day in late July
- Are Detroit bars, restaurants following COVID-19 rules or will they be shut down again?
- Whitmer warns Michigan could take steps backward if trouble COVID-19 trends continue
- Parents could be biggest issue for Metro Detroit schools making COVID-19 safety changes
- 5 key factors to consider in debate over sending Michigan students back to school this fall
Health questions, advice:
- Metro Detroit doctors say coronavirus survivors reporting mental health issues
- Is it true that wearing a mask for an extended period of time can be harmful?
- Is it safe to see friends? Should children have play dates? COVID-19 expert shares advice
- Should you feel safe going to restaurants now that they’ve reopened in Michigan?
- Is it safe to start letting children play organized team sports in Michigan?
- Answering 5 common haircut questions: Is it safe? Can COVID-19 survive on hair?
- Who was most severely affected during peak of coronavirus cases in Metro Detroit?
- New research: Children much less likely to get coronavirus, experience symptoms
- Is coronavirus seasonal? Should infection rates slow during summer?
- How to help children keep up social connections during coronavirus pandemic
- Answering 5 travel questions: Driving safer than flying? Avoid parts of country? Stay in hotels?
- What Dr. Anthony Fauci said about a timeline for a coronavirus vaccine
- 8 possible COVID-19 exposure locations identified in Traverse City after group fails to follow rules
- Experts worried about parents who aren’t taking children to doctor’s appointments
- Michigan’s top medical official explains true severity of state’s recent COVID-19 spike
- Doctors say some coronavirus patients suffering from confusion, delirium
- Michigan mask requirements: Pros and cons of wearing face shields instead of masks
- Video shows Royal Oak bar linked to COVID-19 cases was crowded without social distancing
- 185 coronavirus cases now linked to outbreak at East Lansing bar
- Wayne County Public Health Division confirms 13 COVID-19 cases linked to Romulus bar, restaurant
- Red Robin in Clinton Township closes after employees test positive for COVID-19
- Saline holiday party leads to 43 confirmed COVID-19 cases, exposure locations across state
- Health officials say dozens of people from Saline house party spread COVID-19 to their communities
- Michigan lawmaker wants Whitmer to overhaul state’s unemployment agency
- Will extra COVID-19 unemployment benefits be extended or replaced by ‘back-to-work’ bonus?
- Here’s what scammers are doing to target Michiganders filing for unemployment
- Metro Detroit businesses struggle to find workers amid COVID-19 unemployment bonuses
- Detroit mother spends 33 days on ventilator right after emergency birth due to COVID-19
- Recently married couple separated for 30 more days due to extension of US-Canadian border closure
- Detroit Lions cheerleader works as nurse during coronavirus pandemic
- Metro Detroit woman who can’t medically tolerate mask says businesses hesitant to believe her
- Michigan man killed after stabbing customer during mask argument, pulling knife on deputy, MSP says
- 6 differences you might notice next time you have a doctor’s appointment
- What reopened schools look like with coronavirus restrictions
- Espresso Royale Coffee forced to permanently shut down business due to pandemic
- These 4 Metro Detroit cities are closing streets to give restaurants more outdoor dining space
- 5 differences you’ll notice when you visit Michigan salons, barbershops and spas
- 12 changes University of Michigan students will notice this school year due to COVID-19
- Here are all rule changes, roster limits, strict safety measures in MLB’s 101-page operations manual
- Survey finds one-third of Michigan parents don’t plan to send children back to class this fall
- Metro Detroit’s economy takes another blow as COVID-19 concerns cancel Woodward Dream Cruise
- Big Ten announces conference-only schedules if fall sports are played this season
- Dearborn High School football team cancels week of conditioning due to possible COVID-19 exposure
- Michigan football 2020 ticket policy: No season tickets or sales to general public