Some SE Michigan schools temporarily close following Oxford High School shooting
Following the devastating Oxford High School shooting earlier this week, several schools across Southeast Michigan are increasing police presence or temporarily closing their buildings as they deal with their own threats.
Live stream: Officials address copycat social media school threats in Metro Detroit
Law enforcement officials are holding a news conference Thursday afternoon to address what they are calling "a tidal wave of copycat threats" to Metro Detroit school districts in the wake of the horrific shooting at Oxford High School.
Judge dismisses terrorism threat charges in Gov. Whitmer kidnapping plot case
Three men the state said helped plot to kidnap Michigan Gov. READ: Informant in plot against Whitmer indicted on weapons chargesThe men had been charged with making terroristic threats online and in secret conversations on encrypted apps. The state said that both men spent time and money to train so they could attempt to kidnap Gov. AdThe judge threw out the terroristic threats charge. The judge said the charges couldn’t stand because the men had made the threats in private.
Ohio man charged with terrorism for threatening to burn down Port Huron elementary school
PORT HURON, Mich. – Ohio resident Dominik Hricovsky, 32, was arraigned Sunday on multiple charges including terrorism for allegedly threatening to burn down a Port Huron elementary school. On Wednesday at 8:10 a.m. St. Clair County Central Dispatch received several calls from Hricovsky making threats to burn down Cleveland Elementary School and shoot police officers. Cleveland Elementary School went into a soft lockdown until police could figure out what was happening. Dispatchers were able to connect the address the calls were made from which was an apartment in the 2700 block of Nern Street in Port Huron. Police say he was on parole through Ohio while being placed under arrest in Port Huron.
US Capitol placed on short lockdown after nearby fire
A sign displayed outside the Capitol building in Frankfort, Ky., advises that the grounds are closed, Sunday, Jan. 17, 2021. (AP Photo/Bryan Woolston)WASHINGTON – A message on Monday morning said an “external security threat” was present at the U.S. Capitol. “All buildings within the Capitol Complex: External security threat, no entry or exit is permitted, stay away from exterior windows, doors. UPDATE: U.S. Capitol Police: "In an abundance of caution following an external security threat under the bridge on I-295 at First and F Streets, SE, Acting Chief Pittman ordered a shutdown of the Capitol Complex. Unclear if this is the cause of/related to Capitol lockdown- but it’s in the same area where the security threat was supposedly located https://t.co/Dev82K5nBt — Garrett Haake (@GarrettHaake) January 18, 2021
Michigan Capitol Building reopens after threat
LANSING, Mich. – The Michigan Capitol Building was closed Thursday morning due to an unspecified threat. Michigan State Police brought in the bomb squad and K-9 unit to inspect the building and the all-clear was given. The threat was called in around 6:45 a.m.Now the Michigan Capitol Building is closed because of a threat. pic.twitter.com/AgA7uJvl54 — Mallory McMorrow (@MalloryMcMorrow) January 7, 2021The Michigan State Capitol is once again closed due to an outside threat. — Darrin Camilleri (@darrincamilleri) January 7, 2021Michigan’s Capitol Building closed today due to threat.
Man threatens to blow up Monroe County Sheriff’s Office unless someone comes to arrest him, police say
GAYLORD, Mich. – A man threatened to blow up the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office unless someone was sent to arrest him, police said. Deputies with the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office learned Saturday about a social media post in which Philip H. Stone, 37, of Gaylor, threatened to blow up their building if the department didn’t send someone to arrest him by Jan. 13, according to authorities. Stone also threatened to kill anyone who tried to arrest him for any reason and that his statement should be taken as a terrorist threat, officials said. He has ties to the Monroe County area and was upset about a pending Friend of the Court hearing, authorities said. Stone was formally arraigned Monday (Jan. 4) in Otsego County on one charge of making terrorist threats.
FBI says "no indication of additional explosive threats" after Nashville explosion
FBI says "no indication of additional explosive threats" after Nashville explosion The FBI and Nashville authorities said Saturday that they were still searching through the massive crime scene after a Christmas Day explosion. There is no indication of additional explosive threats, FBI Special Agent in Charge Doug Korneski said at a press conference Saturday. Watch the press conference.cbsnews.com
Wayne County canvasser says recent, violent threats have her living in fear
A Wayne County canvasser is speaking out on Thursday after a woman from New Hampshire was charged with threatening her online. Chair canvasser Monica Palmer says she’s afraid for her life and the lives of her family after receiving violent and threatening messages in November. “You’re not sleeping.”The threats against Palmer are the latest in a year of escalating threats of political violence and intimidation. I can’t go Christmas shopping without fear that somebody’s going to snatch my daughter,” Palmer said. Palmer says that she plans to remain on the Wayne County Board of Canvassers despite recent events.
Michigan lawmakers, groups condemn Republican leaders for punishing state rep. over Facebook video
After the hearing, Rep. Johnson received death threats in several voicemails, with one even calling for her lynching. Be in order, make them pay.”Though Rep. Johnson says she was not inciting violence with her message, Republican Michigan leaders and lawmakers whole heartedly disagreed. Whitmer, Secretary Benson, Rep. Johnson herself, and others. The MLBC is on record condemning all acts of violence, threats, racist rhetoric toward any citizen of this great state. Rep. Johnson released a video this week, where she discussed these spiteful messages and as a result, she’s been stripped of her committee assignments.
Rep. removed from Michigan House Oversight Committee amid investigation
LANSING, Mich. – Michigan Rep. Cynthia Johnson is under investigation after she posted on social media a response to the many violent, vulgar and racist death threats she’s received. The video, posted Tuesday night, has quickly gone viral and legislative leadership removed her from her House Oversight Committee assignments Wednesday. “My soldiers, they are soldiers for Christ, soldiers against racism, soldiers against domestic violence, soldiers against domestic terrorism,” Johnson said. Rep. Johnson has been removed from her committee assignments, and we are looking into further disciplinary action as the proper authorities conduct their own investigations. Whitmer, Secretary Benson, Rep. Johnson herself, and others.
Michigan officials face threats in wake of election results
DETROIT – As Michigan’s election results sit in the national spotlight officials on both sides of the aisle say the rhetoric has turned dangerous to the point where lawmakers are getting death threats. That also included a protest Saturday night at the home of Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson. On Saturday, Michigan State and Detroit police responded to a report of several armed protesters gathered outside of Benson’s home. Michigan Rep. Cynthia Johnson, the Democratic chair of the House Oversight Committee received death threats over the election. On behalf of Benson, department spokesperson Jack Rollow shared the following message Sunday regarding the incident:“Let’s be clear -- Secretary Benson just oversaw the largest and most secure election in our state’s history.
Lawmakers, election officials targeted with protests, threats over Michigan election
Over the weekend, armed protesters showed up at the home of Michigan Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson and a House Representative received death threats. This must stop.”On Saturday, Michigan State and Detroit police responded to a report of several armed protesters gathered outside of Benson’s home. READ: Michigan SOS Jocelyn Benson says armed protesters gathered outside her Detroit homeMichigan Rep. Cynthia Johnson, the Democratic chair of the House Oversight Committee received death threats over the election. The hate message came after Johnson’s participation in the House Oversight Committee that questioned President Donald Trump’s personal attorney, Rudy Giuliani and Melissa Caron during last week’s voting hearing. READ: Michigan House Oversight Committee members receive death threats, racist voicemailsThe hearing was parodied on Saturday Night Live.
Michigan House Oversight Committee members receive death threats, racist voicemails
LANSING, Mich. – Michigan Rep. Cynthia Johnson, the Democratic chair of the House Oversight Committee is receiving death threats due to the election. She posted several of the threats to social media. After both Democratic and Republican representatives have received threats of violence over the election, Michigan Assistant Minority Floor Leader Laurie Pohutsky posted on Twitter about the SNL sketch. The SNL skit was amusing, I guess, but last night my caucus was trying to figure out how to keep those on that committee safe from the deluge of death threats they’re receiving. I’m sorry to be a bummer and I’m glad people enjoyed the skit, but the reality of it is heinous.
Michigan Legislative Black Caucus members say they’ve been the target of threats
LANSING, Mich. – Black lawmakers in Lansing said they’ve been the target of threats. Members of the Michigan Legislative Black Caucus are highlighting physical and death threats made toward members of the caucus. READ: Michigan AG launches investigation into threats against canvassers“It’s bigger than just here in Michigan, it’s around the country. “I want my colleagues, the Black Caucus, the Democratic Caucus, Republican Caucus -- I want all of them, to be able to do their work in a safe way, without fearing for their lives,” said Lawrence. READ: Complete Michigan political coverage
Michigan AG launches investigation into threats against canvassers
DETROIT – On Tuesday, Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel announced that her office started an investigation into threats made against members of the Wayne County Board of Canvassers. And while many of us have been subjected to hateful and often obscene insults, threats of violence and harm will not be tolerated.”Original Story: Michigan AG confirms investigation into threats made against Wayne County CanvassersLast Friday Wayne County Board of Canvassers Republican William Hartmann spoke with Local 4 about the threats. I’m worried about threats and violence that might come upon me or my family,” said Hartmann. The investigation comes after a Wayne County Board of Canvassers meeting on Nov. 11 that was interrupted by violent, vulgar threats. Yesterday Republican and Michigan Board of State Canvassers member Norm Shinkle talked about the threats he has received.
Michigan AG confirms investigation into threats made against Wayne County Canvassers
LANSING, Mich. – Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel has confirmed that her department is investigating threats made against members of the Wayne County Board of Canvassers. READ: Michigan lawsuit claims Trump Campaign is attempting to disenfranchise Black votersOn Nov. 11, a Wayne County Board of Canvassers’ Zoom meeting was interrupted by violent, vulgar threats. On Monday, Monica Palmer, Chair of the Wayne County Board of Canvassers, spoke during the Michigan Board of State Canvassers meeting. Palmer said there were harsh words said during the public comment section of the Wayne County Board of Canvassers meeting. READ: 23-year-old woman charged with making violent threats against Wayne County canvasser
Ann Arbor father, 3 children tied up during violent home invasion
ANN ARBOR, Mich. – Spencer John Payne and Cedrick Michael Sims were arraigned Wednesday in connection to two violent home invasions. According to authorities, the two men are accused of breaking into two houses, tying up and threatening the occupants. Police said it happened between 3 a.m. to 4 a.m. Oct. 8 at two houses, one on Sharon Drive and one on Macomb Street. Police say in the home on Macomb Street, the family -- a single father with three children, ages 5, 13 and 17 -- were tied up with electrical cords and clothing around their hands and feet. Police said they then went back to the first house, apologized, untied the father and told him not to untie the children yet.
Wayne County Board of Canvassers' Zoom meeting interrupted by violent, vulgar threats
DETROIT – The Wayne County Board of Canvassers' Wednesday Zoom meeting ended up getting Zoom-bombed by an unknown amount of people hurling expletives. The meeting was held online and a link was available for the public to join the meeting. Threats and vulgar statements were made about the Board of Canvassers' mothers. With Wayne County at the center of President Trump’s lawsuits, as well as exhaustion after the count and the continuing drama, just about the last thing the Wayne County Board of Canvassers needed was people Zoom-bombing the meeting. "People act all sort of kind of ways.”The board is not letting the online obnoxiousness slow down their work.
Wayne County Treasurer’s Office closes over threat to steal ballots; Sheriff weighs in
DETROIT – Protests in Detroit remained mostly peaceful outside of the TCF Center in Downtown Detroit, but police dealt with multiple threats over the election. A woman claimed a bomb was left near the TCF Center, and a Wayne County building closed over a threat to go in the building and steal ballots. Tensions continue in Detroit Friday night, just days after the election -- from the TCF Center to the county Treasurer’s Office in Greektown. Wayne County Sheriff Benny Napoleon said officials closed the Treasurer’s Office early Friday afternoon. On Wednesday, just one day after the election, supporters incumbent President Donald Trump protested outside the TCF Center, demanding to be let inside where poll workers were counting ballots.
Family of teen murdered in Highland Park say they have been receiving threats
DEARBORN, Mich. – The family of a Dearborn teenager murdered in Highland Park said they have been the target of threats. Family members of Yaser Boumelham, 18, are fearing for their safety. Boumelham was shot and killed on Sept. 14 in Highland Park. His family said they don’t know why he was on Gerald Street, they don’t know who killed him and they don’t know why he was killed. READ: Woman shot 11 times in 4th Highland Park homicide in 6 weeks, police sayWatch the video above for the full report
'We can disagree without being disagreeable’ -- Rep. Elissa Slotkin responds to death threats
DETROIT – Michigan Rep. Elissa Slotkin said she received a violent threat and she’s sounding the alarm about an increasingly volatile election. Slotkin said she’s seen both Republicans and Democrats targeted this election. Despite that, Slotkin said threats have been escalating during this election cycle. But she added she wants Michiganders to push back against rising threats of violence as we get closer to the election. We will not resort to violence and threats," Slotkin said.
Michigan man threatens President, Vice President, schools, says police cant stop him, arrested same day
GRAND BLANC, Mich. Jeffrey David Cox, a Grand Blanc resident, was taken into custody Saturday after authorities claim he made threats to kill the President and to bomb several locations. I plan to assassinate the President and the Vice President. Nobody can stop me.I will kill and murder Sophia Winningham, the State of Michigan Adult Protective Services social worker.I will place a bomb in all Mott Community College campuses set to detonate on Monday, May 18, 2020. I will also go on a shooting spree and kill all of the students and staff at all of the campuses of Mott Community College sometime next week. That same day, Grand Blanc Police Department detectives, officers, and U.S. Secret Service agents executed a state search warrant at Coxs home in Grand Blanc and arrested him.
Holly Township man arrested after making threats on Facebook
HOLLY, Mich. – Police arrested a 23-year-old Holly Township man after he allegedly posted a threatening message on Facebook on Wednesday at 10:13 p.m.Holly police believed the threat to be credible and investigated. The man is accused of posting the following: “Downtown Holly and every kid I went to high school with is aboutta (sic) meet their fate real quick startin (sic) with the fews.”Police said the man had become depressed after a recent breakup and his mood and demeanor had drastically changed. Holly police officers arrested the man at his Holly Township home on Friday afternoon and he is being lodged in the Oakland County jail. He has been charged with one count of malicious use of telecommunications services, a 6-month misdemeanor. His arraignment is scheduled for Saturday.
FBI investigating Twitter threats against airplanes
FBI investigating Twitter threats against airplanes The FBI is trying to determine who has been issuing bomb threats on Twitter against U.S. airlines. Several flights have been grounded due to safety concerns, including a pair of flights escorted to Atlanta's airport over the weekend by NORAD fighter jets.cbsnews.com